The rest of the T-6 is missing: I only see the canopy!

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
JonB
Airman

The rest of the T-6 is missing: I only see the canopy!

Post by JonB »

Bought the T-6 last December, installed it and got it to work with a little tweeking. Have a chance to check out in a real T-6 this coming Spring and wanted to get a little familiar with the acft beforehand, using your program. However; before I could start, the hard disk with my operating system (Win 7) died and I had to replace it with Win 10. Finally got Flt Sim X re-installed on the new drive. Found the original T-6 install download file I got from the store, plus update, which I had saved on an external drive, and used them to install the T-6 onto the new FSX.

Problem: when I open Flt Sim X, the T-6 shows only a dull-looking canopy, the rest of the acft isn't there! All the defaut acft appear normally, though. I can open a scene with the T-6 on some runway, but the aircraft is invisible...only the canopy can be seen. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, but with the same result each time. The files looks normal to me; textures for all the models are there but the base airframe is somehow missing.

Is that because of something built into the install program? IF not, I suspect my downloaded install file somehow got corrupted. Does this mean I have to buy another second copy of the T-6? If so I don't have any proof of purchase since it was a couple of months ago, and the store website refuses to recognize any of my email addresses so they may not know me at all.

Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. Any advice would be appreciated!!
JonB

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: The rest of the T-6 is missing: I only see the canopy!

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Jon,

It is very irritating when after reinstalling your favorite aircraft, it fails to run properly. Assuming you have FSX here are some start up tips you can try and let us know, if they helped you.

1) Check if "Advanced animations" check box it ticked under Settings->Fustomize->Graphics in your FSX (Flt Sim X)
test if you see the aircraft properly after this.

2) download and install SimConnect http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi
some of the symptoms you describe may appear when this software stops working properly.

3) you definitely need to install the latest updater - Accu-Sim update

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jon,

Also, which version of FSX are using?

If it's the original disk edition, you'll need to install both Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Game ... fault.aspx

However, if you're using FSX Acceleration or the Steam edition, please don't try to install these Service Packs.

Thanks,
Nick

JonB
Airman

Post by JonB »

Will & Nick: thanks for your quick responses. First off, am using the original FSX Deluxe version.
Started following your tips and got nowhere at first. And then I had that infamous "Ah Ha!" moment as soon as got to your reminded about the Service Packs. Realized I had neglected to install then. Got SP1 & 2 and installed them...and whattia know...that was what was missing! I had completely forgotten about that little requirement while waltzing through the re-install process. Mea Cupla on this one!! Chalk it up to another senior moment (they seem to be coming more frequently these days, too!). The plane is now on the runway, I can see it, God's in heaven and all's well down here. :lol:

One last request, if I may, on a slightly related subject. My wife walked into the room and asked me why no one was sitting in the cockpit while the airplane was buzzing around over everyone's heads? (plus some other sarcastic comment about my flying ability which doesn't bear repeating here.). Anyway, I looked closer and she was right. No pilots. :oops:
Question: Which key turns the crew on and off? I can't seem to find it in the manual.

In the meantime my thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction to clear my little problem up. Happy Super Bowl viewing if you happen to be watching it this afternoon!!
JonB :D

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Jon - good to hear you're back in business with the SPs. :)

As regards the missing pilot, this could be caused by the "advanced animations" setting that Will mentioned above still being un-ticked. The shift 4 load manager screen can be used to add or remove front and rear seat occupants, but the pilot should appear automatically once you selected the virtual cockpit view, provided that "advanced animations" setting has been ticked.

Cheers,
Nick

JonB
Airman

Post by JonB »

It was un-checked. Changed that and used Shift 4 window to set up the crew.

Must say, this is an impressive simulator program! No 'kick tire, light fire 'n go', this one. Heard it was a bit complicated but didn't expect all this much detail. Very impressive. I can only imagine the amount of effort that was put into creating this program.

I'll give it my full attention and maybe when I get to the real checkout in April, I won't seem so clumsy and awkward!! :lol:

Thanks again for you help Nick. I think I can get started now, but more than likely will check back from time to time with some different 'newby' questions, if that's Ok with you. In the meantime, take care.

JonB 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update JonB. Please do feel free to ask any questions about the sim: there are plenty of helpful and knowledgeable folk here including many real world pilots, some of whom have time in the T-6.

Welcome to the A2A forums! :)
Nick

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”