Why is my T-6 so slow? RESOLVED!

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Why is my T-6 so slow? RESOLVED!

Post by Paughco »

I get my T-6 up to cruise altitude and apply the standard cruise settings of 24" MP and 1,850 rpm. Cruise speed settles in around 115 to 120 knots. Hey - it's supposed to be closer to 130 or 140! What's the deal?

Oh, now I get it! The manual is all in miles per hour! My ASI is reading in knots! DOH!!

I went through and annotated my T-6 manual so that the equivalent knot reading is next to nearly all the mile per hour callouts in the text. OK.

Seeya
ATB

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Why is my T-6 so slow? RESOLVED!

Post by Oracle427 »

Are you calculating True Airspeed? As you climb higher, your indicated airspeed will decrease, but your true airspeed is what performance should be measured against.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I figure out my TAS sometimes during a cross country flight, using my US Navy Computer, Dead Reckoning - AN5835-1, which is sort of a proto-E6-B. Other times I just look at my Shift+2 window or the GPS and get ground speed. My main glitch was that I not noticing that all the airspeeds in the T-6 Manual were in statute miles per hour, and my airspeed gauge reads in knots.

Seeya
ATB

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

60ish hours flying the T-6 and I didn't even notice you could get airspeed in knots. :?

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

There's a mod kicking around here somewhere that lets you click on the gauge in the cockpit and it changes it to knots or mph and back.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

No mod needed here. Just open up shift + 3 panel.

First line of buttons in the lower portion. There you can change airspeed indicator from mph to kt, gear lock aid indicator or the high set fuel gauges.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”