Proper engine pre-flight procedure

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Proper engine pre-flight procedure

Post by ilya1502 »

Hello, fellow-pilots!

Today I've run into a problem with my Texan. I don't use the oil cleaning kit, and when I came through to hand-propping the engine, it would go half a turn and then stuck. In real life this would mean that there is excessive oil residue in the lower cylinders, so the normal procedure would be to remove the cowl, unscrew the lower plugs from the lower cylinders and pull the prop through several times (putting a pan underneath so that the oil doesn't drip onto the pavement), but since it is impossible to do all this in the otherwise fascinating A2A model, how one is supposed to deal with it?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Proper engine pre-flight procedure

Post by Oracle427 »

Use the oil clean kit.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ilya1502 wrote:Hello, fellow-pilots!

Today I've run into a problem with my Texan. I don't use the oil cleaning kit, and when I came through to hand-propping the engine, it would go half a turn and then stuck. In real life this would mean that there is excessive oil residue in the lower cylinders, so the normal procedure would be to remove the cowl, unscrew the lower plugs from the lower cylinders and pull the prop through several times (putting a pan underneath so that the oil doesn't drip onto the pavement), but since it is impossible to do all this in the otherwise fascinating A2A model, how one is supposed to deal with it?
This is EXACTLY what happens when you use the oil cleaning kit. We simulated the lower cylinder hydraulic lock. We encourage everybody to hand prop before starting to see if HL is present. If not just start up and go, if it is, use the oil kit to relieve the lock.
Dudley Henriques

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Ah, I see now, thanks, guys.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Or just always remember to attach the kit at the end of your flight, and remove it at the start of your next flight. Voila - no lockup ever!

Pivot
Airman

Post by Pivot »

You also get to recover the captured Oil for all of those thrifty fliers.. 8)
Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 2070 G7 * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * TrackIR 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”