What flap setting do landing experts use.

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

What flap setting do landing experts use.

Post by bobsk8 »

I am curious as to what flap setting folks are using on the T6 for landing. I know if there is a good crosswind, full flaps is probably not a good idea, but how about on normal landings without a strong crosswind, what settings are you using for flaps?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: What flap setting do landing experts use.

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:I am curious as to what flap setting folks are using on the T6 for landing. I know if there is a good crosswind, full flaps is probably not a good idea, but how about on normal landings without a strong crosswind, what settings are you using for flaps?
We've had an ongoing "flap" here in the US for years concerning the use of flaps in crosswind. I remember when I was instructing the FAA releasing a "suggestion" that full flaps always be used to minimize ground speed on touchdown. They "said" that weighing that against the weathervaning effect produced positives for the slower ground contact.
Personally I never bought into this argument (as stated by the FAA) and opted instead to teach my students to use flaps as THEY considered the situation warranted on any given landing.
In the T6, there is indeed a tendency to weathervane in strong crosswind conditions. For this reason AILERON carried throughout the landing roll is imperative in crosswind control. In most loss of control groundloop situations involving the T6 it is improper use of aileron during the rollout that causes loss of control.
In the T6, I taught to use minimum flaps in strong crosswind and watch where you have the stick as you roll out.
Dudley Henriques

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

So what flap setting do you recommend when there is not an appreciable cross wind, that was my question.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:So what flap setting do you recommend when there is not an appreciable cross wind, that was my question.
I would repeat;

"Personally I never bought into this argument (as stated by the FAA) and opted instead to teach my students to use flaps as THEY considered the situation warranted on any given landing."
I'm not sure what else I could tell you. Flap use is not written in stone and the T6 is just another airplane when it comes down to flap use. Use whatever flaps you feel you can handle for the wind. I would recommend full flaps on any normal landing.......i.e. not much wind.

DH

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:So what flap setting do you recommend when there is not an appreciable cross wind, that was my question.
I would repeat;

"Personally I never bought into this argument (as stated by the FAA) and opted instead to teach my students to use flaps as THEY considered the situation warranted on any given landing."
I'm not sure what else I could tell you. Flap use is not written in stone and the T6 is just another airplane when it comes down to flap use. Use whatever flaps you feel you can handle for the wind. I would recommend full flaps on any normal landing.......i.e. not much wind.

DH
OK, that is what I needed to know. If full flaps were used were used on normal landing or not. Thanks.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Perhaps this will help. I’m no expert but the more flap you use the lower your touchdown speed will be which means the shorter distance it will take you to stop and exit the runway. So basically it depends on the winds and how long you want to take to stop.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”