Checked Out!

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
iflyc77
Senior Airman

Checked Out!

Post by iflyc77 »

Today I did a checkout in a real world T6 with the Commemorative Air Force and was very pleased at how familiar it felt after a few hours of practice in the A2A product. I am editing up a full length (1h10m) video of my first of two training flights with intercom audio and some ground footage mixed in.

In the mean time, here is a teaser of my first takeoff and landing in it thanks to my friend Dylan -

Takeoff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewGXx0H ... e=youtu.be

Landing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYwiiX ... e=youtu.be

This is an SNJ-6 which is akin to an AT6-F so it has the smaller gas tanks (110gal total) and power-push hydraulic system compared to the A2A G model. This one also has the P51 locking tailwheel which really was the most interesting thing for me to get used compared to other tailwheel aircraft I have flown.

Most of my flying with it will be on tour with the CAF B29 Fifi around the US giving rides. I am very honored to be trusted with this piece of history and hope that the A2A Mustang is as realistic as the 6 so that I am prepared when that day comes. :mrgreen: Great job A2A crew!

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Re: Checked Out!

Post by Roadburner426 »

Congrats on getting to fly a real life T-6 and doing it successfully! I see you had that rudder moving like hell on landing. :lol: As many times as I've ground looped or nearly ground looped the T-6 in FSX I would be on the rudder too flying the real one.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Roadburner426 wrote:Congrats on getting to fly a real life T-6 and doing it successfully! I see you had that rudder moving like hell on landing. :lol: As many times as I've ground looped or nearly ground looped the T-6 in FSX I would be on the rudder too flying the real one.
Thank you! Im hoping for many more successful landings to come. The funny thing about the rudder, is that it really didn't feel like I was moving it as much as I apparently was. I never got anywhere close to going to hitting the stop.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

iflyc77 wrote:Today I did a checkout in a real world T6 with the Commemorative Air Force and was very pleased at how familiar it felt after a few hours of practice in the A2A product. I am editing up a full length (1h10m) video of my first of two training flights with intercom audio and some ground footage mixed in.

In the mean time, here is a teaser of my first takeoff and landing in it thanks to my friend Dylan -

Takeoff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewGXx0H ... e=youtu.be

Landing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYwiiX ... e=youtu.be

This is an SNJ-6 which is akin to an AT6-F so it has the smaller gas tanks (110gal total) and power-push hydraulic system compared to the A2A G model. This one also has the P51 locking tailwheel which really was the most interesting thing for me to get used compared to other tailwheel aircraft I have flown.

Most of my flying with it will be on tour with the CAF B29 Fifi around the US giving rides. I am very honored to be trusted with this piece of history and hope that the A2A Mustang is as realistic as the 6 so that I am prepared when that day comes. :mrgreen: Great job A2A crew!
Textbook perfect both going and coming. I always have preferred tail low landings in the 6. Your wheel landing looked just fine. Checking with the rudder shows dancing toes which is also very good to see.
Good job. Glad you enjoy flying the old girl.
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear this, congrats. See you at this years Oshkosh then?

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Great to hear this, congrats. See you at this years Oshkosh then?

cheers,
Lewis
Of course! There will be TWO B29s for you to explore this time :)
DHenriquesA2A wrote: Textbook perfect both going and coming. I always have preferred tail low landings in the 6. Your wheel landing looked just fine. Checking with the rudder shows dancing toes which is also very good to see.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you! I was just landing it like I land the Stearman.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

iflyc77 wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:Great to hear this, congrats. See you at this years Oshkosh then?

cheers,
Lewis
Of course! There will be TWO B29s for you to explore this time :)
DHenriquesA2A wrote: Textbook perfect both going and coming. I always have preferred tail low landings in the 6. Your wheel landing looked just fine. Checking with the rudder shows dancing toes which is also very good to see.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you! I was just landing it like I land the Stearman.
Having flown both I actually think the Stearman has an edge on the 6 as far as the roll out is concerned. Both are great airplanes as I'm sure you know.
DH

jcummings
Airman Basic

Post by jcummings »

iflyc77 wrote:
Roadburner426 wrote:Congrats on getting to fly a real life T-6 and doing it successfully! I see you had that rudder moving like hell on landing. :lol: As many times as I've ground looped or nearly ground looped the T-6 in FSX I would be on the rudder too flying the real one.
Thank you! Im hoping for many more successful landings to come. The funny thing about the rudder, is that it really didn't feel like I was moving it as much as I apparently was. I never got anywhere close to going to hitting the stop.
That is the same way with my Stearman. Barely feels like you are moving it but if you look back you can see how much it really moves. Great landing!

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

First solo was today! Got to get out and do some yankin and bankin and then 3 full stop landings with a little bit of a crosswind. Leaving on a 600nm trip up to Bowling Green, KY (BWG) to chase Fifi on the start of her Summer tour tomorrow. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfZPJT ... e=youtu.be

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Congratulations. That's totally awesome. And I have to say I'm a bit jealous. It must be great to fly those parts of aviation history. Maybe one day I'll get to do it too.

Thanks for sharing this with us and always happy landings in the Six (and any other aircraft of course :wink: )
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Awesome news, look forward to seeing you again at Oshkosh 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Simply great to see that rudder working overtime! :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”