What is this passing light, anyway?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

What is this passing light, anyway?

Post by Paughco »

Both the T-6 and the Connie have a forward facing, red "passing light." I've searched on the Internet, but it seems that the red passing light went out of general aviation usage before the advent of the Internet, so I couldn't find any info that way. Maybe somebody here knows the history and use of the red passing light. Should I get one for my BMW S1000XR motorcycle?

Also, today was a good day for flying the T-6. I managed a nice touch and go, and then a pretty decent wheel landing on Rwy 16 at Arlington Airport (KAWO). There was only the slightest crosswind. No scrubbing of tires this time! It felt pretty good!

Seeya
ATB

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: What is this passing light, anyway?

Post by mallcott »

Paughco wrote:Both the T-6 and the Connie have a forward facing, red "passing light." I've searched on the Internet, but it seems that the red passing light went out of general aviation usage before the advent of the Internet, so I couldn't find any info that way. Maybe somebody here knows the history and use of the red passing light. Should I get one for my BMW S1000XR motorcycle?

Also, today was a good day for flying the T-6. I managed a nice touch and go, and then a pretty decent wheel landing on Rwy 16 at Arlington Airport (KAWO). There was only the slightest crosswind. No scrubbing of tires this time! It felt pretty good!

Seeya
ATB
Is your S1000XR designed for formation flying? Then it probbaly doesn't need one. It would also be in breach of construction and use regulations as red lights should face aft on all road-going transportation devices, with the exception of certain emergency and special purpose vehicles.
You could, I suppose, argue that the S1000XR `special purpose` is to wheelie whenever and wherever possible, but that won't explain what the light on the B377 is for. Only what the blue light on a police car is for...

The strict definition of a Passing Light (aircraft related) is
"A strong red light to warn passing airplanes displayed usually in the leading edge on an airplane flying after dark".

They preceded strobe and beacon lights as the standard warning light on an aircraft. It may surprise, but rotating beacon lights only became mandatory around 1996.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: What is this passing light, anyway?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I was confused by the connies passing light , but info i found said it was an early taxiing warning light , to let others know of your position , and is no longer used.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”