T-6 Texan aerobatics

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
flash2
Senior Airman

T-6 Texan aerobatics

Post by flash2 »

In the review of the T-6 manual I did not see a listing of entry speeds for basic aerobatics like Aileron rolls, Barrel Rolls, Loops etc.

Is this information available on the forum. I have seen You Tube basic Military instructions on T-6 Aerobatics covering attitude and control surface procedures but no indication of entry air speed and Rpm and manifold pressure.

Thank you
John

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: T-6 Texan aerobatics

Post by DHenriques_ »

flash2 wrote:In the review of the T-6 manual I did not see a listing of entry speeds for basic aerobatics like Aileron rolls, Barrel Rolls, Loops etc.

Is this information available on the forum. I have seen You Tube basic Military instructions on T-6 Aerobatics covering attitude and control surface procedures but no indication of entry air speed and Rpm and manifold pressure.

Thank you
John

In the T6 I did most of my aerobatics with the power set at 30 inches and the RPM at 2000.
Rolls can be performed anywhere around 150mph and vertical stuff around 200 using a 3 to 4g profile.
The T6 snaps like a rubber band but don't snap it above 120 to 130mph.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dudley Henriques

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thanks,

Just what I needed!

John

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've been working on loops. I get up to about 6,000 AGL and set power at 30" and 2,000 rpm, drop the nose and get about 150, then pull back on the stick. Trying to find the right amount of pull to get a clean loop over the top with no falling off, no high-speed stall, etc. Wish I could actually feel the G. Finally got one after about eight tries. I can loop the P-40, and I can loop the J-3. Haven't tried the Comanche or the Connie (might freak out the passengers), but I figure the T-6 is perfect for this sort of thing. It's just like my '50 Panhead, except that it flies

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I finally got it! Took off from Friday Harbor (KFHR) and climbed to 5,000 feet, out over Puget Sound, so none of the falling pieces would land on anybody. I zeroed out the G-meter, then set her at 30" and 2,000 rpm, and put her into a dive to about 180, then pulled back on the stick. First attempt resulted in "departure from controlled flight." The G-meter showed 6 Gs, which indicted a possible high-speed stall of the tail feathers. I climbed back up and tried it again, with a more gentle back-pull on the stick. I looked out over the right wing and kept her reasonably straight relative to the horizon, which did a nice pivot all the way around. I pulled the throttle back after we came over the top and got her level again. I have no idea how that loop would look to people outside the airplane, but it was extremely gratifying to end up in the same approximate direction as the start. I did it second time, to prove that it wasn't a total fluke.

I am waiting until I hear that the Six in in P3Dv4 before I make the big move. The Six is where it's at!

Note: I am a student, using P3D and my T-6 to learn how to fly. No fun is involved. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”