Carb Heat Usage

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Carb Heat Usage

Post by Avio »

Noticed the mixture temp is usually at -1 degrees after startup. Should I keep the carb heat on to bring temp to 3 degrees and above?

Same for approach for landing -- read one method is to keep carb heat on above 3 degrees to pre-empt any carb icing, all the way until just before final approach when landing is assured, and then turn off carb heat.

Any suggestion?

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Carb Heat Usage

Post by mallcott »

Avio wrote:Noticed the mixture temp is usually at -1 degrees after startup. Should I keep the carb heat on to bring temp to 3 degrees and above?

Same for approach for landing -- read one method is to keep carb heat on above 3 degrees to pre-empt any carb icing, all the way until just before final approach when landing is assured, and then turn off carb heat.

Any suggestion?
Your manual contains 64 references to carb and the use of heat, the where and when, the symptoms and the solutions. Yes, in general keep carb temps above 3 ° but you need to be aware that most carb icing most of the time occurs ABOVE this temperature and it's quite likely the symptoms might occur even if you have temps above that figure so you need to be aware of what those symptoms are and be ready to take immediate steps.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

I am aware that extra attention needs to be paid on carb heat usage when temp hits around the weather's dew point temp where clouds/condensation starts forming.

Some people advocates the use of carb heat on approach till just before touchdown to pre-empt the formation of ice in carb. Curious how many out there practice this.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Avio wrote:I am aware that extra attention needs to be paid on carb heat usage when temp hits around the weather's dew point temp where clouds/condensation starts forming.

Some people advocates the use of carb heat on approach till just before touchdown to pre-empt the formation of ice in carb. Curious how many out there practice this.
Nope. Only prior to initial power reduction. The aircraft is draggy enough that you can run quite high icing-resistant settings for power all the way to final reduction for t/d.

Basically, the cylinder capacity is large enough that the carb throat is big enough to resist ice build up when power settings are keeping the internal temps up.

But that's not to say it won't ice, so be ready to add it if things get odd.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”