Caribbean trip. This plane rocks.

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
boomshinesaigon
Airman

Caribbean trip. This plane rocks.

Post by boomshinesaigon »

I just completed the following trip:

As a GA aircraft enthusiast, it surprised me that this plane has become my favourite one out of my A2A fleet (C182, Comanche, Cherokee), here's my main reasons in no particular order:

- Old school, but functional and powerful. It literally taught me how to land other WW2 planes (in IL-2 Sturmovik 1946) better; planes that I ended up damaging on landing are now nice and smooth landings.
- Amazing sounding engine and equipment; the engine sounds are truly worth a bullet point of their own.
- Challenging to land in crosswinds. In general, you can really feel the weight behind the air frame as well as the weather impact on handling.
- Taxiing is fun; it's a highly manoeuvrable 2.5 ton piece of metal with momentum clearly behind it, so you've got to take care.
- Tough; you can descend at higher speeds than GA aircraft since the air frame can handle it. You can execute hard turns and feel the aircraft response to avoid losing control.
- Being fully in control of flaps is satisfactory (that flaps lever clunk sound feels just right).
- Leaning to conserve fuel is quite important on this American muscle. It can take you quite far with the proper leaning.

I highly, highly recommend this airplane to anyone who likes GA aircraft but wants something somewhat different. It is truly fun to taxi, take-off, fly and land.

Some screenshots from the trip:

Dive to land:

Foggy:

Just another island:

Cloud layers:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Caribbean trip. This plane rocks.

Post by Lewis - A2A »

glad your enjoying the simulation, great screenshots. The T-6 is essentially a GA aircraft these days and glad so many GA sim flyers are trying out something a little different.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

VERY nice! Looks like a fun ride. Reminds me of some of Steveo1kinevo's YouTube videos, where he flies a TBM 850 and a Cessna 208 all over that area IRL.

I'm trying to decide between the P-51 Civilian and the T-6. Both look really good. The P-51 is faster, but the T-6 looks like a lot of fun and very instructive.

Seeya
ATB

boomshinesaigon
Airman

Post by boomshinesaigon »

Lewis - A2A wrote:glad your enjoying the simulation, great screenshots. The T-6 is essentially a GA aircraft these days and glad so many GA sim flyers are trying out something a little different.

thanks,
Lewis
Thank you Lewis and the rest of the team for having made such a fun product.
Paughco wrote:VERY nice! Looks like a fun ride. Reminds me of some of Steveo1kinevo's YouTube videos, where he flies a TBM 850 and a Cessna 208 all over that area IRL.

I'm trying to decide between the P-51 Civilian and the T-6. Both look really good. The P-51 is faster, but the T-6 looks like a lot of fun and very instructive.

Seeya
ATB
Paughco, I cannot compare the T-6 to the P51 since I use P3D for which it is not available. I can say that you will not regret getting the T-6. I would think that getting the T-6 first makes more sense since it was, as you probably know, the trainer used for pilots before they stepped into (even if you've been flying the P40!) the P51's. As you suspect, it is indeed very instructive and rewarding to fly. I've posted a video below of an arrival at Regina International Airport; it is evident that small gusts of wind impact the airframe and it was a pleasure to land.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been able to put some more time into the T-6 with an in-progress tour of Canada starting in Quebec and looping back after visiting every province/territory and its major capital/airport. I'm currently in Regina, Winnipeg. I can't wait to face the real cold up north in the territories!

This is what leg 3 of 12 looked like:

Leg 03: Winnipeg, Manitoba to Regina, Saskatchewan – CYWG to CYQR
Route: Direct GPS
Distance: 288 nm
Altitude: 5000 ft
Fuel stops: None

Notes:

- Ground temperature is 2C (36F). Pitot heat on. Departing and climbing to 5000 ft.
- Cruising at 5000 ft at 117 kts, there are some moderate winds shaking the plane around a little. Same temperature. 24" mp, 1900 rpm, mixture leaned to 53%.
- Facing light turbulence. Strong turbulence reported at CYYC. Not very cloudy today.
- Turbulence is stronger now. Plane is bobbing up and down at 500 fpm.
- Stabilized, calmer winds. ETE 1h 26m at 120 kts. Landscape not very remarkable at the moment. Current time is 1755.
- Warmer temperatures of 5C (41F); I will keep pitot heat on for now. ETE 36m at 120 kts. Sun is setting; will reach airport before nightfall.
- Better weather conditions; I am now cruising at 128 kts. Light winds are still shaking the airplane around a small amount. ~85 gallons of fuel left.
- About 15nm from CYQR. Landing on runway 13. About 70 gallons of fuel left, both fuel tanks are about even.
- Airport and runway in sight. Descending to 3000 ft (airport elevation is 1895 ft).
- Had a nice landing. Warm temperatures on ground: 10C (50F). Remaining fuel about 32 gallons on the left wing, 35 on the right wing.
- Parked outside. Night has fallen. Temperatures dropped to 4C (39F). Refuel before leaving for next destination.

Screenshots:

Leaving CYWG:

Sunset:

Getting ready to land:

Landing video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lb7pcmXDwU[/youtube]

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Another set of beautiful screenshots, lovely jubbly 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Funny you mentioned the "toughness" of the T-6, and this is a big advantage to just be able to push the nose down and dive to lose altitude, whereas you really don't do that with GA planes.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”