Question for Dudley: Hammerheads in the Texan

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Question for Dudley: Hammerheads in the Texan

Post by Jetguy06 »

I'm wondering if Dudley can give some insight into how to properly execute a hammerhead in the Texan. What should the entry speed be before pulling into the vertical, what airspeed do you start the turn at the top of the upline, control surface inputs at the top of upline, same or different procedure for left and right turns, etc. Thanks!!
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Question for Dudley: Hammerheads in the Texan

Post by DHenriques_ »

Jetguy06 wrote:I'm wondering if Dudley can give some insight into how to properly execute a hammerhead in the Texan. What should the entry speed be before pulling into the vertical, what airspeed do you start the turn at the top of the upline, control surface inputs at the top of upline, same or different procedure for left and right turns, etc. Thanks!!
To do a good Hammerhead, timing is critical at the top of the vertical line, too fast when you initiate and you make a U turn. Too slow and you can stall out completely and spoil the maneuver.
In the T6, to get a long vertical line I would use at least 200mph. Cruise power and RPM should be fine. I always found them easier to do to the left which is the torque side. The speed isn't critical on the high side, it just extends the line, but too slow and you lose to drag in the pull and the airplane will pay off too soon to get your vertical line established.
Once on the vertical line watch the wingtip to hold the line vertical and stop any tendency to roll. Leave the power alone. As you reach the top you can't feel the airplane in the sim as you would in real life so you'll have to watch your visuals carefully to get it right. Try and initiate the hammerhead just before the stall. The prop should be providing dynamic pressure on the rudder for you at that point. Initiate with FULL rudder and opposite aileron together. You need the opposite aileron to kill the lift on the outside wing. Without the aileron the excess lift on that wing as you rotate will cause roll and that's exactly what you don't want.
Done right, the airplane should rotate almost perfectly on it's vertical axis. Neutralize all controls as you reach your vertical down line which should almost be identical to your upline. Recovery is normal dive recovery watching the airspeed and g. If you did it all right you should recover the aircraft at the entry altitude, entry airspeed, and exactly on a reciprocal heading from your entry heading.
Hammerheads are not difficult to do but are extremely difficult to do right.

Dudley Henriques

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Thanks Dudley!! My main problems have been too short an upline, probably caused by insufficient airspeed at the start of the maneuver, and letting the speed drop too low before starting the turn. I've only ever tried turns to the left, since that's the torque side and easier to perform for a beginner, as you said. I'll put your tips to the test and keep practicing. Thanks again!!
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Jetguy06 wrote:Thanks Dudley!! My main problems have been too short an upline, probably caused by insufficient airspeed at the start of the maneuver, and letting the speed drop too low before starting the turn. I've only ever tried turns to the left, since that's the torque side and easier to perform for a beginner, as you said. I'll put your tips to the test and keep practicing. Thanks again!!
No problem at all. If I can ever help in any way just ask.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”