Tora Tora Tora T-6's

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Tora Tora Tora T-6's

Post by Jetguy06 »

Are the modified T-6's that currently fly the Tora Tora Tora routine the original airframes modified by Fox for the 1970 film? If not, what happened to the original airframes?
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Re: Tora Tora Tora T-6's

Post by Bomber_12th »

Yes, they are the same aircraft as used in the movie. The level of modifications done to the aircraft for the film made it rather non cost-effective to return them to stock form, and in keeping them in their movie-form, provided that they would stand out on the airshow circuit (the fact that they were used for the movie also guaranteed their survival/the fact that they still remain today). Twelve T-6's were converted into "Zero" fighters and 9 T-6's were converted into "Kate" torpedo bombers (with BT-13 tails), and 9 BT-13/BT-15's were converted into "Val" dive bombers. A ton of work and man power went into the movie conversions, with roughly 100 people working on the Zero and Kate conversions alone. Work on the Zero conversions included new canopies, windshields, and other work around the cockpit area, new wing tips, landing gear doors, re-shaped rudders, droptanks, new cowls, scoops, wing-fuselage fillets, slots cut into the fuselage sides, and a prop spinner. Some had 3-bladed props with geared R-1340's and working arrestor hooks installed. Work on the Kate conversions was even more extensive and time-consuming.

The CAF's "Tora! Tora! Tora!" act got started in 1972, when six of the movie airplanes were donated to the Confederate Air Force, and this has since expanded to include more of the movie aircraft (I don't know if there is a firm count on all of the airplanes used by the CAF "Tora" pilots/members, but it has been a combination of different wings and private owners too, over the years).

Not involved in the CAF/"Tora" airshow act ... The Planes of Fame Air Museum owns/operates one of the "Tora" movie Vals. The Heritage Flight Museum owns/operates one of the "Tora" movie Zeroes. The Olympic Flight Museum owns/operates one of the "Tora" movie Zeroes. And I know of at least a couple "Tora" movie Zeroes that are privately owned/not involved with the CAF/"Tora" act - one in Texas (formerly based in Australia) and another in Washington state. There is also a very nice T-6 Zero replica that flies in France, but it was converted for use in "Empire of the Sun". One of the "Tora" Kate replicas is on static display in a museum in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

A number of the "Tora" replicas were used again in the making of movies such as "Midway" (where the replica Kates also stood in as US Navy Vindicators) and "Pearl Harbor" (Kates and Vals), as well as some TV shows over the years, like "Black Sheep Squadron".
John Terrell

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Thanks, Bomber. I was curious as to why there were so many aircraft involved in the movie, but the CAF seems to own so few in comparison. That clears it up!! 8)
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Jetguy06 wrote:Thanks, Bomber. I was curious as to why there were so many aircraft involved in the movie, but the CAF seems to own so few in comparison. That clears it up!! 8)
Perhaps other aircraft were acquired by other museums. I know our local Olympic Flight Museum has one.

--WH

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

WarHorse47 wrote:
Jetguy06 wrote:Thanks, Bomber. I was curious as to why there were so many aircraft involved in the movie, but the CAF seems to own so few in comparison. That clears it up!! 8)
Perhaps other aircraft were acquired by other museums. I know our local Olympic Flight Museum has one.

--WH
As I mentioned. ; )
John Terrell

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Bomber_12th wrote:
WarHorse47 wrote:

--WH
As I mentioned. ; )
Stuff gets missed with tri-focals. :P

Here's a couple shots of the Olympic Flight conversion:

--WH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Finally caught the tora tora tora show last year at Oshkosh after seeing bits of it the previous years and it was amazing, love it!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Great shots Warhorse!! Tora Tora Tora was one of my favorite movies growing up (I'm 27 now), and I always wondered as a kid why the movie Zeros had tapered leading edge wings while real Zeros didn't. It wasn't until much later that I found out they (and the Kates and Vals) were replicas. I saw the Tora routine for my first time at the Wings Over Houston airshow at Ellington airport (KEFD) in Houston in 2015. It was amazing!!

Quick question, Warhorse... In your first picture, above the tail of the Zero, to the left of the Mustang propeller, there's something that looks like a mini V-1 bomb of the wall. Any idea what it is? Thanks!!

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Jetguy06 wrote:Quick question, Warhorse... In your first picture, above the tail of the Zero, to the left of the Mustang propeller, there's something that looks like a mini V-1 bomb of the wall. Any idea what it is? Thanks!!
Dunno. I can find out next trip to the Museum. Here's a closer pic for ya'

Oh, BTW. Here's the Planes of Fame display from Reno a couple years ago..

--WH

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Thanks for the pictures Warhorse!! On closer inspection, the item on the wall looks like an Hs-293 glide bomb, notably carried by the He-177. The pictures I've pulled up don't show the black antenna-looking thing on the nose, though. Maybe that's a receiver for remote guidance from the bomber?

And that Zero at Reno looks like one of the very few original (or as close to original as possible) Zeros still flying. I had the chance to see one at Wings Over Houston in 2015. I took a picture with my hand on its fuselage (not putting any weight on it, of course. The airframe metal was THIN on the Zero). I also got to see it fly. As soon as the gear was up and locked, it hauled straight up into an Immelman turn. I had always heard of the Zero's incredible maneuverability, but it still blew me away seeing it in person! I'll post some pictures of that trip shortly.

What was the name of the museum the replica Zero was at? Was it the Olympic Flight Museum? It certainly looks like a trip I'll have to plan in the future. Lots of great stuff to see there!!

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

Yes, the Olympic Air Museum is a nice place to check out. For any aviation enthusiast, the Pacific Northwest is full of aviation museums, which makes sense considering how big of an influence the area has had on aviation. Within about 300 or so miles along I-5 you have the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinville (where the Spruce Goose is), Pearson Air Museum in Vancouver, the Olympic Air Museum in Tumwater, the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle, and Everett has both the Museum of Flight's Restoration Center (where they're returning a DH88 Comet to airworthy status) and Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection (where in the summers it is common to see a FW-190, Me-262, Zero, P-40, P-51, and F-6 put on airshows). Another great museum is the Tillamook Air Museum on the Oregon Coast, which is housed in a historic wooden airship hangar that in and of itself is worth the trip out. Plus, you're in Tillamook (so, you know there is good dairy foods to be had) and your only a few miles South of Cannon Beach (featured in The Goonies and Twilight movies).
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

pilotgod wrote:Yes, the Olympic Air Museum is a nice place to check out. For any aviation enthusiast, the Pacific Northwest is full of aviation museums, which makes sense considering how big of an influence the area has had on aviation. Within about 300 or so miles along I-5 you have the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinville (where the Spruce Goose is), Pearson Air Museum in Vancouver, the Olympic Air Museum in Tumwater, the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle, and Everett has both the Museum of Flight's Restoration Center (where they're returning a DH88 Comet to airworthy status) and Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection (where in the summers it is common to see a FW-190, Me-262, Zero, P-40, P-51, and F-6 put on airshows). Another great museum is the Tillamook Air Museum on the Oregon Coast, which is housed in a historic wooden airship hangar that in and of itself is worth the trip out. Plus, you're in Tillamook (so, you know there is good dairy foods to be had) and your only a few miles South of Cannon Beach (featured in The Goonies and Twilight movies).
Ahh.. but there's more. :P

WAAM in Hood River, OR
Historic Flight Foundation in Everett, around the corner from Paul Allen's collection
Heritage Flight Collection at the Skagit County Airport
Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras, OR

Last year for my birthday the wife and I visited most of these up north. This year we're going to revisit Evergreen and Tillamook before spending a few nights in Cannon Beach itself. We already have our reservations in for Skyfair at Paul Allen's museum.

I believe there is also another museum at McChord, but all the years we've lived here I've never been able to visit.

--WH

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”