Two questions on Texan

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Two questions on Texan

Post by bobsk8 »

I have two questions regarding flying the Texan:

1. Is it recommended to lean both in taxi from ramp to active and after landing or does the engine behave better ( less stuttering and backfires no matter how slowly I move throttle) on full rich?

2. What is the recommended prop pitch on final approach, I have been using 2,000 rpm?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Two questions on Texan

Post by Tomas Linnet »

bobsk8 wrote:I have two questions regarding flying the Texan:

1. Is it recommended to lean both in taxi from ramp to active and after landing or does the engine behave better ( less stuttering and backfires no matter how slowly I move throttle) on full rich?

2. What is the recommended prop pitch on final approach, I have been using 2,000 rpm?
1: I'm not a real world pilot, but in my days as a road racer we leaned our 2-stokes race bikes for better throttle control. I always lean out during ground operations, except run-up. I think the engine behaves quite well.

1: According to the manual, approach RPM should be 2000. I did not find another setting for final approach, so I keep it at 2000 RPM all the way down.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
As far as i know , landing and takeoff and climb , should be set to mixture autorich and prop full fine , as it gives more control , in the even of a goaround , auto lean cruise for mixture , prop / throttle as required for rpm/mp control for alt you are at , for taxi if lean mixture , then that should help prevent plug foulling , this is true of the c182 for certain.
regards alan. 8)

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

listen to the engine, she will tell you if she is starving or not, also the rpm, if it drops, you might wanna increase the mix a little, i usually have no problems with her leaned out to about 65-70% on the ground, i do change it as needed though, i just listen to what she wants and i give it to her, she starves, i increase the mix..havent had issues yet! though after sitting for about 6 months (rough estamate) i fired her up and everything was good, changed oil and the filters and as i was doing one final check i noticed white smoke, and the unusual stuttering of the engine so i cut the engine, checked the hanger and turns out i blew some headgaskets in number 5 and 6 cylenders! not a fun day, ive NEVER had that happen to any of my a2a birds
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

If you are having backfires no matter how slow you move the throttle watch the throttle animation or use the properties screen in the devices menu. If the throttle is jittery your controller may be the problem. Any jitter will cause problems (backfires) with the T-6 that will not be noticeable in most other airplanes. Been there done that.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

dvm wrote:If you are having backfires no matter how slow you move the throttle watch the throttle animation or use the properties screen in the devices menu. If the throttle is jittery your controller may be the problem. Any jitter will cause problems (backfires) with the T-6 that will not be noticeable in most other airplanes. Been there done that.
My joystick throttle didn't have enough throw, got a Saitek Pro Throttle which cured the problem.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”