Braking action

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Braking action

Post by bobsk8 »

Just got the T6 today, and the one thing that really jumps out at me is the braking action. Flying approach at 90 mph, and once I touch down I feel like I am stopping a 747 rather than a small aircraft. Brakes don't seem to have much effect at all, and I have all kinds of aircraft that don't behave like this. Any suggestions?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Braking action

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:Just got the T6 today, and the one thing that really jumps out at me is the braking action. Flying approach at 90 mph, and once I touch down I feel like I am stopping a 747 rather than a small aircraft. Brakes don't seem to have much effect at all, and I have all kinds of aircraft that don't behave like this. Any suggestions?
Generally speaking you don't want to be braking a T6 other than a slight tap during the rollout at least until the tail wheel is down firmly and you are tracking straight.
Other than that, could there be a controller issue? The braking on the T6 is fine here.
Dudley Henriques

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:Just got the T6 today, and the one thing that really jumps out at me is the braking action. Flying approach at 90 mph, and once I touch down I feel like I am stopping a 747 rather than a small aircraft. Brakes don't seem to have much effect at all, and I have all kinds of aircraft that don't behave like this. Any suggestions?
Generally speaking you don't want to be braking a T6 other than a slight tap during the rollout at least until the tail wheel is down firmly and you are tracking straight.
Other than that, could there be a controller issue? The braking on the T6 is fine here.
Dudley Henriques
After I posted this, I looked at a couple of youtube videos on the A2A T6 and I see that after it touches down, it rolls for a long time on the main gear, before starting to slow down. I guess I was braking it like it was a Comanche with a tri cycle gear. Got a lot to learn, I see.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Dudley Henriques
After I posted this, I looked at a couple of youtube videos on the A2A T6 and I see that after it touches down, it rolls for a long time on the main gear, before starting to slow down. I guess I was braking it like it was a Comanche with a tri cycle gear. Got a lot to learn, I see.
You sound like you're doing fine. It's a learning curve that's all. Just remember, the T6 is basically a 3 ton airplane and that's a LOT of momentum right after touchdown. Just lay off the brakes. Only use very slight brake taps if needed to align, don't let the nose wander AT ALL, and let the tail settle in. Get the stick back at that point, use in-wind aileron for any crosswind and use the runway you have left to bleed off the momentum.
Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I seem to recall Dudley telling me that he always wore Tap Shoes when flying the T6 :) :)

(He does, however, stridently deny that as being the source of his "handle" : " Shirley")

:P :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

[quote="Killratio"]I seem to recall Dudley telling me that he always wore Tap Shoes when flying the T6 :) :)

(He does, however, stridently deny that as being the source of his "handle" : " Shirley")

:P :lol:[/quote

Fingers and toes........................fingers and toes! :-))))))))))

D

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

After reading Dudley's post last night, I got up this morning, ran through the startup procedures, taxied out to runway 9 at Key West, Florida , and took off for about a 10 mile flight over ocean flight. Everything worked perfectly including no backfires....Flew the approach and on final , trimmed for 90 mph, and touched down on the middle of the runway, and on rollout held the nose fairly straight and rolled to a stop just a few feet off runway center... This aircraft is going to be a blast to fly... :D
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:Fingers and toes........................fingers and toes! :-))))))))))
D
:lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Landings still giving me fits. I can land fairly straight, let aircraft slow keeping nose straight, but when it really slows down, that is when it seems to want to veer left or right, and full rudder won't stop it then. Any suggestions?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Make sure that the tail is on the ground and stick held full back. As soon as the nose starts to pitch up on the roll out and the tail is showing signs that is is done flying, that is when it is time to lower the tail all the way to the ground and keep the stick full back to keep the weight on the tail wheel. If you are gradually pushing forward and keep the tail up in the air longer than the rudder maintains effectiveness, you are risking a ground loop because you will lose yaw control.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Oracle427 wrote:Make sure that the tail is on the ground and stick held full back. As soon as the nose starts to pitch up on the roll out and the tail is showing signs that is is done flying, that is when it is time to lower the tail all the way to the ground and keep the stick full back to keep the weight on the tail wheel. If you are gradually pushing forward and keep the tail up in the air longer than the rudder maintains effectiveness, you are risking a ground loop because you will lose yaw control.
OK. tried that tonight , and it worked. Thanks..

If I get much better at this, do you think I can get a job with this team? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kutrv12868I
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Found this video today on Youtube. I am a YouTube addict and am constantly viewing aviation videos on my HD TV from Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZmEhayBVI

Here is another video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPrupq1SFo
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Got myself a present today now that I have succeeded in landing the T6 in an acceptable manner. http://www.cafepress.com/mf/75459681/at ... =764802913
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:Got myself a present today now that I have succeeded in landing the T6 in an acceptable manner. http://www.cafepress.com/mf/75459681/at ... =764802913

This explains everything! We all know you can't land the T6 until you get the T6 shirt. Wear that and your landings instantly get better !!!! LOL
Dudley Henriques

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

bobsk8 wrote:Got myself a present today now that I have succeeded in landing the T6 in an acceptable manner. http://www.cafepress.com/mf/75459681/at ... =764802913
Now that is cool, bobsk8... :D

I've bought several items from cafepress, I'll have to look into their aviation related stuff.

Jim

PS Good one Dudley... ;)
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”