Complacency leads to...

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Complacency leads to...

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I just crashed my T-6, at the end of a short flight between KFHR and KORS due to complacency and not being current. I have underestimated the fact, that I have not flown the T-6 for over a month, I have loaded for the first time pilot + trainee pilot + baggage, (the aircraft was not overloaded) which I shouldn't have done.
There was a slight crosswind at Orcas Island, which "benefited" my landing attempt. I call it attempt, because plunging down the runway with 35-45mph, I ended up in a big hangar door right of the runway. I managed to prevent a hard ground loop, but the plane got out of control on final ground roll.

Conclusions taken from this crash:
1. I should have executed a go-around, when I saw that landing isn't developing well. (did not, was convinced, I am almost there - "hold and hope" :roll: )

2. I should have loaded a standard aircraft load, not experiment on the first flight with new load configuration. (not being current with the plane)

3. I should have executed several touch and goes to get used with the aircraft once again. (I've been flying only C172 and C182 in the past fifteen days)

Mechanic verdict: broken L and R landing gears; R gear blocked; major hydraulic leak; broken hydraulic pump; damaged right flap;
Engine:(broken R Magnet, broken fuel pump, broken fuel filter, cyl 4 and 9 without compression)
:oops:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Complacency leads to...

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Will,

Boy that sucks. But maintenance and parts are cheap with A2A so no problem there I guess :wink:

Are you sure that a go around would have been the better option? I have seen accidents/incidents where to around a actually resulted in a way worse outcome than a ground loop. If you are already of the runway or at a rather big angle to the centerline going around might actually make you go in a direction where you'll have obstacles. Of course if the decision is made early enough a go around is usually a good idea.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Complacency leads to...

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Piper_EEWL,

I believe, I had few seconds in the beginning of the ground roll, where the plane was still stable, I could have added full throttle, raised 1-2 notches of flaps and executed a lift off. There was still runway ahead, where I could have gained enough speed. I called it complacency in the title, because I had some near crash landings before, but managed to get out of them, this one shocked me and took me by surprise. I was convinced, I will manage to contain this one, not this time I guess. :wink:
It is not a good thing to be surprised in aviation, especially when you are PIC. If the aircraft starts to lead you to situations, you are not mentally prepared or just thought about, bad things will start to happen.
You are right, A2A hangar is not expensive :mrgreen: , but it's been a long time since I have seen so much damage at one place. At least the engine turned out relatively "OK". I have used T-6: 2134 hrs on the airfarme and 669 hrs on the engine.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”