Bug or Pilot Error?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Desperados
Airman Basic

Bug or Pilot Error?

Post by Desperados »

Hi Guys,
I purchased the T-6 as my very first full simulated GA Aircraft. Comming from Airbus and Boeing i have some troubles with this lovely T-6 and im not sure if its a big or Mistakes made by me..
First: sometimes when i load the Aircraft the canopy (inside the VC) looks like its misty outside wirh 0 visibility.. from the outside weather is clear..
second: i do the runup as described in Manual and checklist.. than about 20-30 seconds after takeoff my engine loses power and dont respond to throttle commands anymore.. all pressures and tempratures are green.. if i glide her on the ground and use auto start after landing.. she runs in idle (not smooth but runs) and has no response to theottle input anymore.

I read the manual twice and searched for people with the same issue bur couldnt find anything. Maybe you Guys can help to Correct the Mistake i made.

Thanks in Advance

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Bug or Pilot Error?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
First of all are you fully updated in accusim ,secondly canopy will mist up quickly , this is not a bug , you need to crack the canopy ajar , as soon as you get in cockpit.
Then close canopy once engine is ticking over, but make sure you have the hot/cold vents open , to give air to cockpit these are eitherside of start switch.
As for eng running rough it will do that at low rpm and you can get a back fire , which is bad for the engine.
As for eng cutting out shortly after t/o if temps in green , then whats the outside temp , if below freezeing it could be ice in carb.
Regards alan. 8)

Desperados
Airman Basic

Post by Desperados »

Hey Alan,
Thanks for your Reply!
The outside temp is 11degrees celsius. And it somehow feels weird because the engine slowly loses the power even when im full throttle.. but it dont dies.. it just keeps in a rough idle.. and than there is no response to throttle inputs anymore.. she just stays in idle.
Accu Sim is up to date.. i really dont underdtand what i am doing wrong here :(

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Have you set the carburetor heat as suggested?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

It definetly sounds like carburetor icing is the culprit here. The typical symptoms are that you're slowly loosing manifold pressure. The cure as the guys have said is pulling the carburetor heat. You shouldn't wait till the engine has lost all its power. Once you start noticing a drop in manifold pressure pull the carburetor heat to warm (it's on left side of the cockpit near the throttle quadrant). It'll take a couple of seconds but the engine should respond to that.

Additionally you could check the maintenance hangar if something else is wrong with your engine. But my guess is carb icing also.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Desperados
Airman Basic

Post by Desperados »

Thanks a lot guys! I will check that after work and than keep you updated. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah - I agree that carb icing does sound like a likely culprit, particularly if the weather is rainy or foggy in the sim.

Actually, it's really important not be be misled by the word "icing" into thinking this is just a cold weather (let along <0°C) phenomenon. In fact, as the outside air temperature begins to drop below freezing, the risk of carburettor icing actually diminishes. There are quite a few topics here already discussing the reasons why, but this nicely written 'starter' article on the ATSB website is a good place to begin reading: Melting Moments: Understanding Carburettor Icing. Pay particular attention to that graph: you'll see that an OAT of 11°C puts you right inside the danger zone!

Here's another article I can recommend on the use of carb heat.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”