Reno Racing the A2A T-6

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Reno Racing the A2A T-6

Post by gulredrel »

Starting behaviour is terrible. I have to prime and throttle up during cranking. Idling at around 900 rpm and increasing prop pitch after establishing oil pressure gives not much more rpm. I have to lean mixture. Once lened, engine will run and react to throttle. You have to be even more careful to throttle up. It will easier backfire or misfire or whatever :mrgreen:
Try yourself: Engine 528.2h

During shutdown, engine will turn over almost endlessly with the mixture in cutoff. Maybe that's something for Lewis. Looks like the shutdown bug we once had in the Spitfire, where the prop was turning very very long with the cutout ring pulled.

I have just compared the runup performance with the overhauled engine, here the results, all tests at Reno Stead ramp 5000ft and around 30°C OAT:
Left used engine - right overhauled engine
mix rich 30"MP
Image Image

mix best power
Image Image

mag left
Image Image

mag right
Image Image

edit: 528.8h ... there goes the weekend... the engineer says... 100% oil at engine start. six laps of unlimited racing, 90% oil left. Producing power isn't the problem, once the rpm is high enough. But oil consumption of 1 US gal in 0.6h...

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Man you have killed this one, lol. I am going to have to give this a try when I am done flying the P-51 today. I am surprised that it still flies being down that many cylinders. Figure one of these days you are going to just have the engine give up the ghost while you are flying.... That note in the maintenance hangar is hilarious. There goes the weekend, lol. At least I am good to my mechanics. Never had that message appear.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

It's amazing that it's still going with those bad results from the compression test. Amazing. I'm guess a naturally aspirated engine would struggle more with this!?

Thanks for sharing the .dat file. If I have some time on my hands I'll give it a try :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

So... tonight was the night :mrgreen: 529.4h
Now, the crankshaft is gone. During the third lap engine power went down, prop govenor had to re-adjust and the engine was only producing enough power to go 130 knots at full power.

Thanks EightyFiftyFive for that beautiful repaint, I had to take this.
Blue puffs at idle...

Steady blue smoke during flight

After Landing, I did a runup resulting in only 1800 rpm, very low oil pressure

and here the hangar results.

Next time, will repair the failed parts.

Regards
Jens

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

So are you going to continue flying until the prop quits spinning, or are you finally going to fix it? :mrgreen: Don't think it will be much longer before it completely locks up.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe. Looks like it's burning more oil than fuel now!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Roadburner426 wrote:So are you going to continue flying until the prop quits spinning, or are you finally going to fix it? :mrgreen: Don't think it will be much longer before it completely locks up.
I think I'll rebuild or at least repair the completely failed components and see how the engine behaves afterwards.

Regards
Jens

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

These planes are not setup for air racing and will never perform the same as the real one's you see at Reno but this model is perfect for replicating the T-6 off the factory line. Air Racing? not so much. Sky Writing? excellent for that too 8)
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

I know it's not intended for air racing, but it's fun.

repaired only the failed parts, no complete overhaul.

back to normal oil pressure readings and no direct burning of oil

just landed at Minden Tahoe after 2 laps at Reno Unlimited Course and after that a climb to 9000ft.

Regards
Jens

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”