im beyond thrilled, but a couple of questions

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
sandi
Airman First Class

im beyond thrilled, but a couple of questions

Post by sandi »

hi y’all, or i guess the airplane at hand, howdy might be a better expression?
I got the t6 yesterday and good lord, what a thrill, but i have a couple of questions.
When throttling up the real plane, does the real engine too, loos power if you move the throttle , just inches, forward at a time?
Am going to see if i can upload a video later today that describes the problem.
Number 2 question, if mind serves correctly, the plane have a autopilot with altitude hold , simulated after the real thing, right?
are we talking about Altrak, or digitrak, or a combination of both?
I may have to overwrite it with the FSX standard one do to sight limitations, I am not sure i can see the lamps, but i wanna give it a try.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: im beyond thrilled, but a couple of questions

Post by mallcott »

1: Yes, the throttle is sensitive to the speed of motion. In addition the carburettor is subject to overfueling if the fuel is poured in too quick and the engine is subject to plug fouling if run at low revs for too long. It's all detailed in the manual.

2: The Autopilot is Trutrak Digitrak/Altrak and has limited functionality, just like the real one. Again the manual is a must read starting page 81.

If your eyesight is troublesome then the manual should be opened in full screen mode using your choice of pdf reader or even your web browser, from which you can boost size of the screen until you can read things clearly.

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

hi, i thought any plane engine would get fouled plugs if ran at to low Rpms? “sarcasm may happen, i know it for a fact”
What i didn’t know however and i am not sure it is that detailed described in the manual was that the throttle had to be moved that slowly, we are talking very slow.
I use TTS, in fact i use the only logic choose for any human being , mac for all my feminine reads, manuals included.
Okay so i use windows too but let this stay between you and me , okies?
I read the manual, not sure about the page number nor do i care since i read it all, for sometime ago:) the following should prove it beyond a doubt .

sandis-MacBook-Pro:~ sandi$ curl http://www.trutrakap.com/wp-content/upl ... gitrak.pdf
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 763k 100 763k 0 0 398k 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 398k
I will save you the guessing what that means in clear english, the link in the manual didn’t work, found another autopilots manual however.
I am not sure that it is in our manual that the Ap have to be turned on with the plane being motionless?
Have to do with the SSG.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

sandi wrote:hi, i thought any plane engine would get fouled plugs if ran at to low Rpms? “sarcasm may happen, i know it for a fact”
What i didn’t know however and i am not sure it is that detailed described in the manual was that the throttle had to be moved that slowly, we are talking very slow.
I use TTS, in fact i use the only logic choose for any human being , mac for all my feminine reads, manuals included.
Okay so i use windows too but let this stay between you and me , okies?
I read the manual, not sure about the page number nor do i care since i read it all, for sometime ago:) the following should prove it beyond a doubt .

sandis-MacBook-Pro:~ sandi$ curl http://www.trutrakap.com/wp-content/upl ... gitrak.pdf
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 763k 100 763k 0 0 398k 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 398k
I will save you the guessing what that means in clear english, the link in the manual didn’t work, found another autopilots manual however.
I am not sure that it is in our manual that the Ap have to be turned on with the plane being motionless?
Have to do with the SSG.
No, only many archaic aero engines that lack modern fuel injection or carburettor systems to correctly meter the fuel for small throttle openings suffer from plug-fouling. I've never had a plug foul on any Rotax or Jabiru engine... but mebbe that's because I read manuals and learn from them? :lol:
Of course one can always choose to fly aero engines that don't have spark plugs, whereupon its no longer a problem. :D

And even with archaic iron-age aero engines it really only occurs at low rpms. As one typically avoid low rpm/slight throttle opening except at the start or end of a flight, its not a problem once you're in the air unless one is in the habit of rowing the throttle lever like a Boat Race oarsman. And its a lot better than it was in the very earliest days - many old rotary engines have only two throttle settings - off and full. But that's a story for another day as it's radials we're talking about here and they need proper `radial handling`.

No the A/P can be turned on while the aircraft is in motion in our A2A T6, but I think you're confusing `powered up` with `turned on`. More reading of that fine manual will probably clarify that.

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

That is correct, Sir i properly don’t understand the difference between turned on, and powered up, like i don’t understand the difference between say, sleep, and unconsciousness:)
Thank you for your help, i will fix the AP problem, after all that is what the popup menus are for:)
The only thing that had me puzzled with the P&W was the amount of throttle moved before it chokes, but it is certainly not like i have a Whitney in my back yard, so what do a girl know.
Again, thank you for the explanation.
Sandie

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

As a general rule, I was taught that a throttle should be advanced from stop to stop over a 5 count.

The J-3 is another aircraft that will sputter and shut off of the title I'd advanced too quickly from idle. In this case it is for the opposite reason as it does not have an acceleration pump and does not inject fuel into the carburetor as the throttle I'd advanced. The engine is actually being leaned out too much when the trottle plate is opened too quickly.

On "modern" aircraft like the Cessnas the engines well backfire and protest if you pull the throttle quickly to idle. When the throttle plate closes all of a sudden lots of unburned fuel will make its way into the exhaust and ignite in there. Damage usually results in the form of broken mufflers.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

As a general rule, I was taught that a throttle should be advanced from stop to stop over a 5 count.
I have never heard that before, just that at least on cessnas we have to do it slowly, but then again, certainly not as slowly as i have had to do it with the t6.
The J-3 is another aircraft that will sputter and shut off of the title I'd advanced too quickly from idle. In this case it is for the opposite reason as it does not have an acceleration pump and does not inject fuel into the carburetor as the throttle I'd advanced. The engine is actually being leaned out too much when the trottle plate is opened too quickly.
I have never been in a “real” j3, and the one that a2a have made don’t seem to do that , have often used f4 that gives it max throttle on one go at go around time, it just revs up, or maybe if it do i don’t know what to look, or listen for.

On "modern" aircraft like the Cessnas the engines well backfire and protest if you pull the throttle quickly to idle. When the throttle plate closes all of a sudden lots of unburned fuel will make its way into the exhaust and ignite in there. Damage usually results in the form of broken mufflers.

I am not sure i have noticed that, but then again, there is a big difference of flying from your laptop and in a set with, good subs where you can “hear” feel more.
I found a interesting read yesterday, will give a link later.

Sandie.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Just go easy when advancing the throttle. If you advance it too quickly it will hesitate, but it always comes back. Definite increase in pucker factor if you advance the throttle too quickly during the end of the approach. Imagine flying a SNJ for a carrier trap! Just go easy. You'll get the feel for it. Actually, that pretty much describes the whole T-6 experience. By the time you get done with it (or it gets done with you), you'll be able to fly anything.

Seeya
ATB

KPWoodsong
Airman

Re: im beyond .. Digitrak and Altrak User Guide

Post by KPWoodsong »

The links for the autopilot docs in the T6 are no longer valid. Here are two that I found:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2151/ ... 5693297809

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2151/ ... 2377300327
Cessna C172
Piper Comanche 250
Piper J3 Cub
T6 Texan

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”