Freezing up

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
jetsmell
Airman First Class

Freezing up

Post by jetsmell »

I have a higher end computer and my settings are reasonable so I don't think that is the problem. It started with the Comanche. At the very beginning when my Chase Plane camera comes on showing the pilot view, the other cameras don't work. Sometimes the menu bar on top is shown sometimes not either way, I click on it nothing happens. I can hear the engine respond to my command but nothing moves. There was no problem with the Cherokee, did many flights, now it has the same problem. The only way I can get out of this is by Control/ Ault/ Delete.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Freezing up

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'm using FSX SE in a Windows 7 64 bit environment, and I get the same problem. It appears to be a CPU issue, maxing out at these times. I can "provoke" a freeze by changing views too fast, and it doesn't have to be in an A2A plane. Sometimes, the sim will eventually recover and I can continue as before. The worst aspect of running FSX is the time it takes to load - typically 12 minutes to get into my start up flight. In fairness, I should add that I have a lot of addon scenery, mostly from Orbx. My FSX installation takes up 186GB of hard drive space, but I still think a 12 minute load is excessive.

My system is almost 6 years old, and runs an i7 3.4 Ghz CPU, GTX 670 1Gb GPU and I have 8GB RAM so it was one of the better spec computers you could get back in 2012. It will still run many other graphics intensive games well, including FSW despite supposedly being below minimum spec for that sim. How does this compare to your PC?

You didn't say which sim you are running, but if it is some iteration of FSX, then these sort of issues are mostly something you just have to put up with. It's just how FSX was coded, as it was just before the point in time when multiple core CPU's hit the market. GPU's were also tiny by today's standards, so FSX is still very CPU dependent which is why it locks up.

For myself, once I can afford a new up to the minute system, I may then go P3D V4, but their licensing is off putting to me. I'd prefer to stick with FSW, but only if A2A develop their planes for that sim. No decisions made yet, however.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jetsmell
Airman First Class

Post by jetsmell »

i7-4790k
[email protected] ghz
Ram 16.0 gb
64 bit
GeForce GTX760
Windows 10
My problem is in the FSX SE. So far other payware planes aren't affected. I do have PREPARED v4 and would have those planes there, but right now I
hate the idea of buying them again, unless there was a discount.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Dogsbody55 wrote:I'm using FSX SE in a Windows 7 64 bit environment, and I get the same problem. It appears to be a CPU issue, maxing out at these times. I can "provoke" a freeze by changing views too fast, and it doesn't have to be in an A2A plane. Sometimes, the sim will eventually recover and I can continue as before. The worst aspect of running FSX is the time it takes to load - typically 12 minutes to get into my start up flight. In fairness, I should add that I have a lot of addon scenery, mostly from Orbx. My FSX installation takes up 186GB of hard drive space, but I still think a 12 minute load is excessive.

My system is almost 6 years old, and runs an i7 3.4 Ghz CPU, GTX 670 1Gb GPU and I have 8GB RAM so it was one of the better spec computers you could get back in 2012. It will still run many other graphics intensive games well, including FSW despite supposedly being below minimum spec for that sim. How does this compare to your PC?

You didn't say which sim you are running, but if it is some iteration of FSX, then these sort of issues are mostly something you just have to put up with. It's just how FSX was coded, as it was just before the point in time when multiple core CPU's hit the market. GPU's were also tiny by today's standards, so FSX is still very CPU dependent which is why it locks up.

For myself, once I can afford a new up to the minute system, I may then go P3D V4, but their licensing is off putting to me. I'd prefer to stick with FSW, but only if A2A develop their planes for that sim. No decisions made yet, however.

Cheers,
Mike

Something isn't right as a 12 minute load up is ridiculous even with your scenery and system. I don't have any idea what could be the problem but my system both P3Dv4 and FSX loads in one or two minutes at the most.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I got curious after my comment and my one to two minutes was fairly close. My PC is a dedicated Flt sim machine with SSDs so this is probably an advantage. This is with ORBX scenery in a urban area. FSX loaded to the free flight screen in 25 seconds, the flight loaded in 55 seconds. In P3Dv4 it loaded to the scenario screen in 40 seconds and the flight loaded in 1:15 (same flt and A/C). So this should give everyone and ball park handle on loading times.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'm running an SSD for my C drive, which has Win7 64 and not much else. My flight sims are on other drives.

I did some experimenting last night and it appears that loading ASN is what really slows it down. Without that, I'm down to a much more reasonable 3 to 4 minutes to get into a flight. Loading terrain data is the big hold up. I'm using only FS Genesis world mesh to boost mesh above standard FSX. I may try deleting and re-loading ASN, then running the updates. However, with A2A making announcements, I'm not inclined to update to AS2016.

FSW loads in 55 seconds, and a flight loads in 45 seconds, but it's bog standard.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jetsmell
Airman First Class

Post by jetsmell »

I prepared a flight using the A2A Comanche and before I could do anything it froze. I can hear engine running. I can hear the flaps moving but on the screen nothing. One interesting thing that was noticed is that the pause button was working, but even after it was un-paused still showed in the lower left in red letters the word ' Paused '.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you mention Chaseplane, what about the other add-ons also?

Have you tried turning these off in case its a conflict somewhere on your system?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Just some thoughts on FSX problems. I am pretty sure most of the problems folks have are caused by add-on programs such as AS2016. My FSX install is 4 years old and it runs without problems. I have ORBX scenery, A2A aircraft, Acu-feel and a few other utilities. There is no other stuff running in the background as this is strictly a flt sim rig which I believe is another major performance advantage. I realize that some folks love add-ons such as AS2016 and would not fly without it. As in life everything has a price and keeping it simple helps avoid complications. Just my opinion based on my experience. I have just recently installed P3Dv4 on it's own SSD as an experiment as I am quite happy with FSX and so far with the same scenery as I have in FSX it seems to be very stable with very good performance. It seems to me that P3DV4 may be the answer for those that love such programs as AS2016.

jetsmell
Airman First Class

Post by jetsmell »

Everything related to FSX SE is in the ( F ) Drive, that's an external hard drive. Everything that is PREPARED v4 is on the ( E ) Drive. Everyday computing is on the ( C ) Drive. All of the FSX SE settings are not set to max. As you can see I have a fairly decent computer but would love to know why it's freezing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you mention F is an external drive?

Its not USB connected is it?

thanks,
Lewis

jetsmell
Airman First Class

Post by jetsmell »

" Its not USB connected is it? " Yes. If that's not right how should it be? It's a WD.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, that could be an issue in itself as your transfer will be a massive bottleneck for performance.

One thing though did you try disabling chaseplane, I am wondering if its a Chasplane issue if Kev and team over at FSFX packages may have come across something as you mention camera views and stuff in your first post.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”