Issue with Input Configurator

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Issue with Input Configurator

Post by TBryson2 »

First, the basics.

Prepar3D v4, FSUIPC 5 (registered), SpadneXt, everything installed correctly and is working without issue. (all gauges, sounds, aircraft...). (By the way, like always, an awesome aircraft!)

I am attempting to set up a switch panel (Desktop Aviator Cessna Switch Panel) to switch the landing lamps (left and right) but have no success. I use FSUIPC to manipulate all of my switches and control devices and I can successfully link all switches to their corresponding functions, (fuel pump, Nav, strobe, pitot heat...), but cannot link Land and Taxi to landing lamps left and right (respectively).

I unassigned those two switches in FSUIPC (so there are no other inputs) and attempted to use the Comanche Input Configurator.

The Input Configurator DOES see the switches (Joystick 1: button 4, Joystick 1: button 5) but will not control the functions in the aircraft. I can actually set up the configuration, but it has no effect on the aircraft itself and not sure why.

Is there a "proper" directory that the configurator has to be in, and how does it work? Does it go out and modify the aircraft.cfg file, (or some other config file) or does the aircraft use the configurator itself as a reference when it boots up?

I also tried configuring them as "landing light left" and "right" in FSUIPC, but that has no effect either.

Hope I conveyed myself appropriately and any help, suggestions would be appreciated.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Issue with Input Configurator

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

are you controls turned on for the sim or do you have them disabled in for just FSUIPC?

The input configuration tool will only work if you have controls turned on.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, "enable controllers" (Options / Other) are enabled.

Also, after installing P3D and FSUIPC, to avoid any conflicts with P3D's assignments and FSUIPC I deleted all key and axis assignments (P3D only) that were "automatically" assigned to each of my controllers and set up FSUIPC exclusively to control inputs (axis and keystrokes). There are no P3D assignments for "left" and "right" lights, that I found. Not sure if this could be an issue or not.

I did not modify any keyboard assignments.

Any other suggestions?
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

TB2,

The input configurator should save any assignments you make to a simple *.cfg file in the following location:

My Documents\A2A\P3D\Comanche250\axisConfig.cfg

If you open this file with a text editor, you should be able to check if there's any text alongside the "Landing_Lamps_Left" and "Landing_Lamps_Right" entries which will indicate the configurator is writing to this file successfully. If it's not, perhaps you could try the "run as administrator" option when using the tool (available if you right-click the shortcut for the input configurator).

An alternative is to use FSUIPC5 to directly control the L:Vars for the landing lights. The involves creating a simple text macro. I can provide more details if you don't have any success with the input configurator, but the first step is probably to take a look at that "axisConfig.cfg" file.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. You could also try what's described here by someone encountering much the same issue.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thank you (Nick M)

I verified the file "asicConfig.cfg" in the "My Doc\A2A\P3D\Comanche250 folder and it does have those entries in it. Interestingly enough, I ALSO have a "axisConfig.cfg" for the Comanche in My Doc\A2A\FSX\Comanche250 folder and it has the same entries in it. (I did NOT install the Comanche in FSX, ONLY P3D). (sorry, forgot to mention that I still have FSX on my system also).

I also notice that all of the "log" files for the Comanche are in the FSX directory, (NO log files in my P3D directory) and assume that will be a problem when I go to uninstall FSX eventually. (which brings up another question, WHY are my "log" files etc. going into the FSX subfolder instead of the P3D subfolder? But that is for another day) I'll need to find out how to re-direct all of my A2A aircraft to keep their log files in the correct folders and bypass FSX. Could be that is one of my problems.

FSUIPC5 DOES have entries for "left" and "right" landing lights, but those didn't work either. If your talking about something else ("An alternative is to use FSUIPC5 to directly control the L:Vars for the landing lights. The involves creating a simple text macro") then yes, I would appreciate some direction with that. I've been using FSUIPC for years, but never made a macro for anything.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Don't worry about the fact that the log.dat files are situated in the FSX rather than the P3D folder. This is normal and it happens because A2A chose to 'share' the persistent state and accumulated hours of each aircraft across both sims. Presumably this means it's simpler and more consistent if all these log.dat files are installed in the FSX folder. At any rate, I don't think you'll have a problem if/when you uninstall FSX.

Happy to provide more details of basic text macros when I've got a bit more time on my hands. However, in the meantime, please could you just copy/paste the content of that "axisConfig.cfg" file here: it may help track down the cause of your problem with the input configurator.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Guys,

yes the FSX folder (in this context) is just something we crate and kept for the P3D fleet for those changing platforms. Uninstalling FSX wont affect this at all as its one of our folders not one FSX installed. This may all change moving forward with more native P3Dv4 products.

thanks,
Lewis

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thanks for that confirmation, and that also answers why my Cherokee still has "mileage" on it.

I still have the original issue though. Thanks
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

TBryson2 wrote:I still have the original issue though. Thanks
Can you try what I suggested above TB2? (Posting the content of the "axisConfig.cfg" file.)

Thanks,
Nick

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Sorry, forgot to attach it. Had to run from hurricane. Will be (hopefully) a week before I can get back to it, IF I have a home to get back to!
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, that kind of puts things in perspective. Hope you and your loved ones are somewhere safe, and that Irma spares your home and possessions.

Good luck!
Nick

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thank you!
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hearing good and bad from there, hopefully being central things where not too bad for you guys.

cheers and all the best,
Lewis

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thanks guys. Trees fell, but not on my house :D Still may be a week or two before power though.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's good news! (About the house I mean, not the power.) Hope things return to some semblance of normality before too long... :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”