Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel not properly controling trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Corkery
Airman First Class

Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel not properly controling trim

Post by Corkery »

P3D V4 Aircraft

I have a Saitek Trim Wheel that works in all other cases; including the P3D4 180. However, it doesn't matter whether I assign the axis to elevator control through P3D controls, FSUIPC or SPAD.next. When I move the trim wheel the handle jumps around, the needle jumps back and forth but when I stop it all goes back to the original position. This makes the 250 unflyable in P3D4. Yes I am using the V4 aircraft and yes I have re-installed it. I'm at a loss!
Cheers
Tony C
Rig: Intel i7 4790 @4.4Ghz 32gb 2133Mhz RAM; OS (Win 7 Prof 64); Nvidia TITAN xp and FSX + P3DV4 on SSDs.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel not properly controling trim

Post by Lewis - A2A »

A reinstall should always be last resort and is at the end of troubleshooting rather than the beginning as it con more often than not cause/hide rather than cure issues. Have you tried a simple default setup of the Comanche, P3D and the trim wheel. Its a plug and play device that will work out the box without the need for anything else.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Corkery wrote:P3D V4 Aircraft

I have a Saitek Trim Wheel that works in all other cases; including the P3D4 180. However, it doesn't matter whether I assign the axis to elevator control through P3D controls, FSUIPC or SPAD.next. When I move the trim wheel the handle jumps around, the needle jumps back and forth but when I stop it all goes back to the original position. This makes the 250 unflyable in P3D4. Yes I am using the V4 aircraft and yes I have re-installed it. I'm at a loss!
No information to enable a troubleshoot. Research what others have provided and repost.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Corkery wrote:When I move the trim wheel the handle jumps around, the needle jumps back and forth but when I stop it all goes back to the original position.
Hello Tony,

This sounds rather like a control conflict. Have you checked in the A2A "Comanche Input Configurator" to make sure elevator trim isn't assigned to an axis or something? This would certainly explain why you're seeing trim oddities in just the Comanche.

An aircraft-specific profile in FSUIPC would be another likely culprit.

Thanks,
Nick

Corkery
Airman First Class

Post by Corkery »

https://youtu.be/JhD_Z6gjhns

Having gone back to FSX, the 250 is now exhibiting this behaviour in both platforms where it had previously been fine in FSX! The linked video shows the behaviour I'm seeing. I have tried not loading FSUIPC, not starting SPAD.next, clearing A2A input configurator and sim native axis control. If I do all of the previous the handle doesn't move when I move the Trim wheel or by the mouse. If enable ANY ONE of the input methods the shown behaviour occurs. Apart from installing P3D4, the only other system change has been an upgrade to the TITAN xp graphics card. Can that have an effect?

BTW it works perfectly on the 180 in both platforms whichever input method I use.
Cheers
Tony C
Rig: Intel i7 4790 @4.4Ghz 32gb 2133Mhz RAM; OS (Win 7 Prof 64); Nvidia TITAN xp and FSX + P3DV4 on SSDs.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Assuming your pre-flight inspection is all good and theirs no control surface issues then the only remaining issue would definitely be a control mapping issue from what I see with your video. And it might not even be the usb trim wheel, it could be something else forcing a neutral trim. Troubleshooting wise you will want to try having nothing doing mapping BUT the host sim and then only have the trim wheel plugged in and mapped. Then see how that works and slowly add in the other hardware to try ti pin down which device has a stray mapping.

thanks,
Lewis

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Corkery wrote:If I do all of the previous the handle doesn't move when I move the Trim wheel or by the mouse.
This (and the fact it's a cross-platform issue) could indicate that there's a simulated jammed trim actuator or similar. Certainly worth a check in the maintenance hangar as Lewis says, if you haven't already done this.

Nick

Corkery
Airman First Class

Post by Corkery »

Nick M wrote:
Corkery wrote:If I do all of the previous the handle doesn't move when I move the Trim wheel or by the mouse.
This (and the fact it's a cross-platform issue) could indicate that there's a simulated jammed trim actuator or similar. Certainly worth a check in the maintenance hangar as Lewis says, if you haven't already done this.

Nick
Doh! Spot on Lewis and Nick. I was so focused on the 'Tech' I completely took my eye off the Sim! I've never had one of these failures and again underestimated the 'accusim' element of the aircraft. Great job A2A.
Cheers
Tony C

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad you found the culprit Tony. I guess it's always worth a quick visit to the hangar before delving too deeply into the troubleshooting! :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good job, happy flying in the virtual skies

cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”