Noob Cockpit Builder - AttitudePlane L:var with an encoder

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
falcon1823
Airman Basic

Noob Cockpit Builder - AttitudePlane L:var with an encoder

Post by falcon1823 »

I'm trying to assign a key press in FSUIPC to adjust my "Attitude Pitch Trim" knob on the Artificial Horizon. Using the L:AttitudePlane Lvar on a working Macro. If I set L:AttitudePlane=INC to a key press, with parameter of 1, It will increase the number only from -7 to -1 (1 number at a time), then with L:AttitudePlane=DEC it will decrease the number only from +7 down to +1.

I'm trying to get it to where I can increase the full range by repeating the same key press from -7 to +7, and then bring it back down the whole range with another repeating key press.

Any ideas? I'm using mobiflight with an encoder. Looking for one of you smart cockpit builder types to help me out, this is my first go. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Noob Cockpit Builder - AttitudePlane L:var with an encod

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome. :)

Afraid I'm a little bit confused by your post. The only knob on the artificial horizon (I believe we're supposed to refer to it as the 'attitude indicator' these days) controls the pitch reference bars or whatever they're called. The knob doesn't have any effect on pitch trim, it simply moves the reference bars to enable better visual reference of aircraft attitude during instrument flight.

If this is what you're referring to, I believe the L:Var in question should be "L:AttitudeIndicator". There was a bit of discussion of it in this topic which might help.

Thanks,
Nick

falcon1823
Airman Basic

Post by falcon1823 »

Hi Nick...thanks for the reply! You're right, they are just reference bars. It has nothing to do with "trim" at all. The confusion is because when you roll your mouse over the knob to get the knob label, what pops up is "attitude pitch trim"...so that's what it was named when it was coded it seems. Even though we're not talking about "trim" at all...

That being said, the only L:var i have used that will move it is the attitudeplane one. I havent tried attitudeindicator, i will give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hiya,

Ah, that explains it - I hadn't noticed the tool-tip description. :)

I had a quick look into this today and the Comanche indeed seems to use a different L:Var than the Cessnas: "L:AttitudePlane" as you say, so please ignore the thread I linked above.

To get the full range of movement of the reference bars up and down, you'll need to set the parameter value for L:AttitudePlane=INC to 7 and for L:AttitudePlane=DEC to -7. (In this case, the parameter entry defines the maximum/minimum value that the L:Var can be set to.) I tested, and this works okay with key presses, but your experience may differ a bit with the rotary encoder.

Hope this helps,
Nick

falcon1823
Airman Basic

Post by falcon1823 »

Worked like a charm, thank you sir!

Learning that the parameter of INC and DEC should be the upper and lower limit respectively was an "ah-ha!" lightbulb moment for me. Super helpful.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're very welcome. :)

Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”