Turn rate adjustment when using AP

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MickB
Airman First Class

Post by MickB »

Hi Team, can anyone advise how to adjust the turn rate when using AP please?

When using GPS with a flight plan on sharp waypoint turns, the Commanche is a bit slow in the turn because the rate is shallow. Would like it to get to at least a rate 1 turn.

Michael.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Turn rate adjustment when using AP

Post by mallcott »

Add a bit of rudder to coordinate the turn.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Michael,

The STEC-30 is a rather basic autopilot - it doesn't fly turns in NAV mode - typically - you would switch to HDG mode when approaching your turn point - turn the aircraft with the HDG Bug - then put it back in NAV mode once established on the new leg course - just as you would do in the real world with an STEC-30. The only benefit to NAV mode on this unit - is while enroute it turns enough to provide wind correction angle for a given leg.

There is a relatively inexpensive option that would provide a full steering STEC-30 autopilot that is common use today - GPSS - but that hardware is not modeled.

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickB
Airman First Class

Re: Turn rate adjustment when using AP

Post by MickB »

Many thanks for your replies.
The STEC-30 is a rather basic autopilot - it doesn't fly turns in NAV mode - typically - you would switch to HDG mode when approaching your turn point - turn the aircraft with the HDG Bug - then put it back in NAV mode once established on the new leg course
Strangely I have been doing the above which works quite well: just thought they may have been some adjustment I could do. Never mind it is still a great little aircraft to fly.

Again thank you

Michael

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”