Engine start & engine sound problems

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
KeithWalton
Airman Basic

Engine start & engine sound problems

Post by KeithWalton »

Hi, I'm running FSX steam edition with flyinside and Oculus Rift. Purchased your Comanche from Just Flight yesterday and immediately had a problem of the engine stopping as soon as the sim started and I was was unable to get her started again. After downloading the update, referencing the handbook, into maintenance and fiddling around for a couple of hours I managed (somehow) to prevent the engine stopping - hurrah! However, I then realised that there was actually no engine sound coming through my Rift headphones, the engine sound was only coming though my pc speakers.

I also own your Piper Cub which runs fine without any sound or other issues and other ambient sounds (clicks, outside noises) are coming through my Rift headphones ok, curiously it's just the engine sound that's the problem.

Having visited the forum I found no posts of this nature and unless I missed a section, very little relating to VR which surprised me. Anyway, as a lot of the answers to queries is to apply the update I though I'd try that again this morning. Oh no no, now I find that the engine is stopping again exactly as it did originally - so I'm back to the beginning. Help required please!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Engine start & engine sound problems

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Keith and welcome.

The Accu-Sim sounds will play through whatever audio device you have set as default in MS Windows. So, in your case, you'd need to make the Rift headphones the active device whilst using FSX (see this post for more info).

As regards the engine stopping, have you checked the maintenance hangar (shift + 7) for problems? One common culprit is fouling of the spark plugs caused by running with too rich a mixture and too low RPM whilst idling or taxiing.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

it does sound like the classic simconnect issue. Let us know how you get on using what nick mentioned and remember to restart your system after simconnect install.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

KeithWalton
Airman Basic

Post by KeithWalton »

Thanks Nick, got the engine running by following your advice and achieved engine sound through my Rift headphones by altering the Windows 10 audio setting so now all good for the Comanche. I guess I'm not used yet to the complexity of A2A aircraft - I'll get there!

However, it seems that changing the Windows 10 audio setting has resulted in no sound now when running my other recent acquisition, the A2A Piper Cub. Even when I revert the W10 setting to as previous, there's still no sound at all. Whereas the Comanche provides for it's own sound change via one of the 2d panels, I can't find a similar 2d panel which enables you to do the same with the Cub so not sure what I should try next.

I should add that I didn't have time this morning to see if I have the same no audio problem with my default fsx aircraft so can't confirm in that respect.

Another point whilst writing, it's very difficult to access the keyboard whilst wearing the Rift. Any advice for VR users in terms of accessing the 2d panels?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear you got somewhere with the Comanche engine sounds and engine start Keith. :)

Afraid I don't have the Cub installed at present to check, but I'd have guessed its Accu-Sim sound effects play through the default Windows audio device too. In the more recent A2A add-ons there's a volume control in the shift 3 menu as you say, but not sure if this applies to the Cub which was an earlier release.

The only thing I can suggest for now is running the latest Accu-Sim update available here if you haven't already done so.

I can't help much with the VR question as I'm still just an old-fashioned monitor user. However, I'd have though having a decent HOTAS setup would be a good start, as it should allow you to operate the most important controls by touch alone.

Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

For VR using Flyinside they have a 2D panel system for you to better setup fro VR.

For the Cub, are you using the Accu-sim pack for the cub or just the basic cub?

thanks,
Lewis

KeithWalton
Airman Basic

Post by KeithWalton »

Hi Lewis, my Cub is with accu-sim. Been away for a few days but tried it again last night and now, as if by magic, no problem with the Cub sound either.

Reference my VR and 2d panels query I think the solution is to initially do the pre-flight inspection, loading etc outside of Flyinside then exit FSX and re-load Flyinside FSX for the VR flight itself. A bit of a faff but I guess better than to try to look under the Rift mask - not practical or comfortable! If anyone knows of a better way...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

must have been one of those things then, though I have noticed with my own vive that sometimes when its powered it will change the default sound device, not always which is a pain in the butt, but I've found myself now always checking after its powered on.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”