Comanchee HSI

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
THibben
Staff Sergeant

Comanchee HSI

Post by THibben »

For some reason I can't get the HSI to unlock for basic manual landings. Is this the way it should be?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

Edit: I have checked for updates and everything is up to date.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Comanchee HSI

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Tom,

Not absolutely sure what you mean by "unlock", but the knob at the bottom right of the HSI can be left-clicked to push it in: in this position the compass card can be rotated by twisting the knob with the mouse wheel. Clicking it again will return it to the pulled-out position where the heading bug rotates instead.

Unlike the HSI in the 182, this one isn't slaved so the compass card will need to be adjusted periodically to correct for gyro drift (assuming this option is ticked in FSX). By default, pressing 'D' on the keyboard will automatically correct the compass card.

Cheers,
Nick

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear. What I was trying to say is it doesn't show anything relative to your position with the runway. ie: Left or right, and high or low. It just seems to be locked up.

Thanks again,

Tom

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay - I think I see Tom: so you're not seeing the glideslope needle and course deviation indicator responding when you try to fly an ILS approach?

If so a few things to check. Firstly, of course, make sure you've got a valid frequency in NAV1 (which airport/runway are you having problems at?) Secondly, make sure the NAV/GPS switch to the left of the COM radios is switched to 'NAV'. Thirdly, check the HSI / TURN COORD circuit breaker which is over to the right of the primer.

Thanks,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Have you dialed in an ILS, confirmed by listening to the morse code identifier and also set the CDI signal source to NAV? It may still be set to use the GPS.

This would also be called a precision instrument approach instead of a visual approach.

I don't believe FSX simulates LPV approaches by default. These are GPS approaches that behave much like ILS approaches.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Thanks Nick and Oracle,

I can't check it right now but will do so in a couple of hours.

Tom

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Nick M wrote:Okay - I think I see Tom: so you're not seeing the glideslope needle and course deviation indicator responding when you try to fly an ILS approach?

If so a few things to check. Firstly, of course, make sure you've got a valid frequency in NAV1 (which airport/runway are you having problems at?) Secondly, make sure the NAV/GPS switch to the left of the COM radios is switched to 'NAV'. Thirdly, check the HSI / TURN COORD circuit breaker which is over to the right of the primer.

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick,

I finally got to flying. It was the NAV/GPS switch in GPS rather than NAV.
Now I just have to read up on use of the autopilot. So far I can't get it to work.

Thanks again,

Tom

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay - thanks for the update Tom.

When it comes to operating the S-TEC 30 autopilot, as well as the manual in this thread, you might find this tutorial video by another forum member, Scott C ("Amoun") helpful.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96FkQ8LP50[/youtube]

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”