Ident signal button

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MickB
Airman First Class

Ident signal button

Post by MickB »

Hi Team, can you help please?

When connected online with either Vatsim or IVAO you are requested to squawk mode Charlie. I know this is to show your position on radar for ATC.

My question is..... Does the ident and setting ALT on the Squawk panel within the Comanche do anything (send a signal) or is it just for show? If I did not use the Vatsim or IVAO buttons would ATC read me as being there?

Just curious

Michael.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Ident signal button

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I fly on line with vatsim , useing vpilot , there is a button on vpilot to squawk mode charlie , or on your atc squawk code there is a switch on the left marked off/stby/on alt/on , usually while on ramp or taxiing its set to stby , unless tower tells you to squawk , as you turn onto runway turn this button to on alt or on.
if on alt selected it will start squawking your flight code as soon as you are about 100ft and climbing , if on selected , then it squawks your code from then on.
hope this helps .
regards alan. 8) :lol:

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Hi Michael,

I have the idea that Alan's answer isn't the one to your question. Although I use IVAO for online flying, I suppose it works similar to VATSIM. In my opion and experience the only way to squawk C and to ident when flying online is by using the IVAO or VATSIM options. Turning the transponder on/standby or ident within any aircraft you're flying, will have no effect what so ever on the IVAO or VATSIM transponder.

Puk
ImageImage

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Puk wrote:Hi Michael,

I have the idea that Alan's answer isn't the one to your question. Although I use IVAO for online flying, I suppose it works similar to VATSIM. In my opion and experience the only way to squawk C and to ident when flying online is by using the IVAO or VATSIM options. Turning the transponder on/standby or ident within any aircraft you're flying, will have no effect what so ever on the IVAO or VATSIM transponder.

Puk
Correct, only the squawk code is transmitted. I have a file called Transponder_FSInn.zip. I have no idea if it works, but should connect the mode selector switch in the VC to FSIIN. Can't remember where I found it....
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

MickB
Airman First Class

Post by MickB »

Alan thank you for your response. I don't think it does send the ident as I was flying with IVAO and ATC asked me to Squawk ident and although I switched to alt on the radio stack I also had to ident on the IVAO panel.
I have the idea that Alan's answer isn't the one to your question.
Hi Puk, yes you are right. I know about the switches on VATSIM & IVAO. Like you I believe the flashing light is just for show. Although regarding the radio frequencies there must be a connection with the radio stack to ATC otherwise we wouldn't need the radio.

Curious??

Regards, Michael.

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Hi Michael,

The easiest way to explain is to consider the FSInn or IVAP as being a second transponder, apart from the one that's built in the aircraft. When ATC ask you to ident you push the ident button (on FSInn or Ivap) that subsequently starts to flash. In consequence your plane on the ATC screen starts flashing too. Especially when there's a lot of traffic going on, this makes it a lot easier for the controller to know where you are and how high. Your plane's transponder plays no part in this.

The verbal connection to ATC is regulated through another peace of software: IVAO uses TeamSpeak (I forgot the name of the VATSIM-one). These programs do have a connection with your in plane radiostack.

So, in an imaginary situation where your radio doesn't function for some reason, ATC still can see you on his screen, but you're unable to communicate with him. That is in real life flying. IVAP however has the possibility to text communicate via the chatbox to neutralize this problem.

Hopes this makes sense,

Puk
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”