Strange problem

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
florence
Senior Airman

Strange problem

Post by florence »

Hi, I have a strange problem I would like to hear your own opinion, after performing the complete Ceck
okay no problem of any kind, if I keep the aircraft with the engine idling for 2-3 minutes
when, after I try to give gas to move the plane did not receive any response from the engine remains ...
engine idling the plane does not move, do not understand it had never happened ....
I hope you understand my English macaroni apologize .... :(
Thanks for help
David

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Strange problem

Post by mallcott »

You've got plug fouling - read about how to stop it in the manual.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

David, another possibility is carburettor icing, especially if you encountered this behaviour in rain or foggy weather. If so, using the carb heat selector on the panel should restore MP and RPM to their normal levels before too long.

Cheers,
Nick

florence
Senior Airman

Post by florence »

mallcott wrote:You've got plug fouling - read about how to stop it in the manual.
thanks to the interesting reply, the Italian translation unfortunately tells me a word that I can not quite understand, sorry where is "plug fouling" ?
Thank you

florence
Senior Airman

Post by florence »

Nick M wrote:David, another possibility is carburettor icing, especially if you encountered this behaviour in rain or foggy weather. If so, using the carb heat selector on the panel should restore MP and RPM to their normal levels before too long.

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick, the weather is just as you say I tried with the carburettor icing but did not work , after I made the flight and everything works as you say correctly ...
hopefully functions ... Thanks

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Plug Fouling.

Because you left the engine running without leaning(Adjusting mixture to lean) the Ignition sparking plugs have been made dirty with oil fuel mixture.

Do not leave the engine running for a long time with rich fuel mixture.

Remedy(how to fix)
Fit wire plugs.
get plugs cleaned in maintenance hanger.

Cheers Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

florence wrote:
Nick M wrote:David, another possibility is carburettor icing, especially if you encountered this behaviour in rain or foggy weather. If so, using the carb heat selector on the panel should restore MP and RPM to their normal levels before too long.

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick, the weather is just as you say I tried with the carburettor icing but did not work , after I made the flight and everything works as you say correctly ...
hopefully functions ... Thanks
Hello David,

Not 100% sure I understand your post, but I think you're saying that using carb heat didn't restore the engine's power? If so, it may be necessary to run the engine with the carb heat lever pulled for at least a minute or two to restore full power. However, without carb heat, it's more-or-less inevitable that any mist, fog or precipitation present in the sim will cause a loss of engine power before too long.

Spark plug fouling could certainly be contributing to the problem too, though I suspect it would cause the engine to run roughly or stop altogether.

Nick

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

florence wrote:
mallcott wrote:You've got plug fouling - read about how to stop it in the manual.
thanks to the interesting reply, the Italian translation unfortunately tells me a word that I can not quite understand, sorry where is "plug fouling" ?
Thank you
The words are exactly the search term you should look for in the manual.

If we give the actual answer: "Lean the mixture on the ground or keep the rpm at about 900-1000 rpm to avoid plug fouling," god knows what your translation software would make of it!

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”