Frame rates drop when in 3D cockpit

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MickB
Airman First Class

Frame rates drop when in 3D cockpit

Post by MickB »

Hi Team, Happy New Year to you all.

Not sure if this has been asked before. But I am experience frame rates drop when in 3D cockpit with the Commanche 250.

If I am outside the aircraft I get approx 40 FPS when setting at 40. Where in cockpit mode it drops to 15 Fps. These are approx for each fllight I do. Everything is working fine and have no problems with the beautiful product.

Does anyone esle have the same problem?
Is there a setting I need to reduce or is this about average for A2A models?

Regards Michael.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Frame rates drop when in 3D cockpit

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Michael - Happy New Year. :)

Seeing fewer FPS in a complex add-on VC than in the spot view is quite normal. However, the extent of this drop is dependent on loads of factors: the host sim you're running (you don't mention this), your PC hardware and whether the sim is CPU or GPU bound, graphics settings in the sim and whether you're running any other add-ons (for example a third-part GPS). In FSX, even the mouse cursor when it's visible tends to make frame rates drop; this is because of its interaction with the click-spot functionality in the VC.

That probably doesn't help much, but without a lot more info on your hardware, software and settings it's hard to offer advice.

Cheers,
Nick

MickB
Airman First Class

Post by MickB »

Hi Nick, Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry I should have said what my system is.
Windows 10
Boxed FSX
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
You may not remember but you gave me the Nvidia Inspector settings in a previous post which incidently makes The Commanche look great (No shimmering on the gauges and very smooth edges)
Not sure about CPU or GPU bound?
I run Plan G & Tileproxy Scenery.

If your thoughts are that these maybe causing the drop I could try running without the above. :idea:
In the meantime I will let you peruse.

Regards Michael.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the added info Mick. I've dug out that thread you mention and the NI settings (8xS, 2xSGSS) certainly shouldn't be over taxing for your GTX 970. Looking at your 2.80GHz Intel processor, this is almost certainly where the performance bottleneck lies.

Afraid I know nothing about the CPU burden presented by Tileproxy, but as it's photoscenery, do you have autogen turned off? Also, are there any other sliders you can back off a little (AI traffic etc) to reduce the CPU workload?

With the boxed version of FSX, there are a few FSX.cfg tweaks which can increase performance, particularly if you have spare graphics card capacity. Not sure if you've tried any of these or taken a look at any of the online guides? (e.g: http://www.avsim.com/files/file/41-basi ... ion-guide/)

Cheers,
Nick

MickB
Airman First Class

Post by MickB »

In FSX, even the mouse cursor when it's visible tends to make frame rates drop; this is because of its interaction with the click-spot functionality in the VC.
You may have hit the nail on the head with the above. With the cursor I get much reduced rates than without it. I must admit I do use the cursor for every thing in the cockpit as I do not have any switch panels etc. Interesting.

BTW. Frame rates stay almost the same with or without the extra stuff I use. So, the cursor is gonna have to go somehow. mmmm :?:

Many thanks Nick.

Regards Michael.

joedu
Airman

Post by joedu »

Hi Michael,
I use a Logitech G13 keyboard for as many functions in the vc as possible. I find it very convenient, since I can leave my right hand on the stick. And on the G13 you have 3x 20 keys to use. So quite a few possibilities for not using mouse in the VC.
Joerg
Joerg

Image Image

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

I find if I just move the mouse courser off screen the frame rate increases immediately.

Tom

n454mw
Staff Sergeant

Post by n454mw »

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have had the same issue and after some investigation I discovered that the problem, at least with my install was the strobe lights. I had always gotten mediocore frames and a significant stutter when flying the Comanche, I got better performance from every other A2A plane that I owned. After reading this thread I decided to do some investigation, first I renamed every smoke effect that the Comanche uses without any result so I started checking all the other effects and the only one that made the least difference was the strobe light. I then opened the strobe effect files for the Comanche and the Cherokee up side by side and discovered some significant differences. I then made a backup of the original Comanche effect and copied the Cherokee file, renamed it to fit the Comanche and Bingo all stutter is gone and the frames are as good as the Cherokee. This is for what it is worth, if you try it be SURE to make a backup of the original Comanche effect file in case it doesn't work on your system.
Thanks Mark

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”