Flight Controls

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
nhfdeng4
Airman Basic

Flight Controls

Post by nhfdeng4 »

Hi All,
I am looking to set up a home flight sim, and love the Piper Comanche 250. I am new at this and looking for help, what are the best flight controls for this sim? and can I run this sim on windows 10?

Thanks John

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flight Controls

Post by TBryson2 »

You can use any number of hardware items to enhance the sim and make it more "real".

I have a CH yoke, CH rudder pedals, a home made prop/mixture/throttle/trim wheel/carb heat, (made from a USB game pad guts). These are what I use to fly aircraft such as the Comanche.

For aircraft that use a stick instead of a yoke, I have a Saitek X52 Pro joystick that also has a separate throttle quadrant.

Saitek makes a nice yoke, but I don't have any experience with it. You can fly any aircraft with a joystick and / or a yoke, but I try to use the same hardware as the real aircraft.

And yes, Windows 10 is perfectly fine. But A2A doesn't sell (or isn't) a simulator. It's the aircraft only. You need FSX (I recommend Steam version if you're going to get FSX), or Prepar3d. Prepar3d is the preferred sim, but you need to check the "qualifications" on it at their website.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I have the CH Eclipse Yoke, CH Rudder Pedals, and CH Throttle Quadrant (the twin engine one). They work real nice with Windows 10 and P3D. The throttle quadrant controls are nicer than the ones that are on top of the yoke, IMHO, because they have a longer arc so its easier to make fine adjustments.

Track-IR is also real nice for looking around - lots nicer than the hat switch. :)

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

Boy if this isn't a can of worms, :lol:

For what it's worth, I myself use a ProFlight yoke with throttle quadrant, a switch panel, a radio panel, and a trim wheel, all Saitek. I found it all on eBay, used. I use Spad.Next as my drivers as they are programmable and that in itself is tremendously helpful. My rudder petals are home built using the guts from an old joystick. Even if you use a joystick for pitch and roll you will quickly see the need for rudder petals after trying to do coordinated turns holding an ever-so-slight twist on the joystick for any period of time. It gets old pretty darn fast.
I run a box version of FSX Gold, I've had it forever, it ain't broke, and I personally didn't see the need to buy what I already had. My operating system? Windows 10 Pro with no problems. However, I do recommend you go into the device manager and disable the power management for the USB Hubs. You wouldn't want Windows to turn off your yoke to conserve energy now would you?

And my only real plug-in, PilotEdge, an online ATC.

And last but not least, my baby, an A2A Cessna 182 N7365W
https://www.facebook.com/71901667829502 ... =3&theater

No matter what you decide, do some homework. There's some good stuff, some better stuff, and some real garbage out there.
But the bottom line, get something and fly!! Heck, for years I flew with nothing but a keyboard and it was STILL fun!
Blue skies my soon to be fellow pilot!

Roger

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Awesome repaint skypilot I may be sending you a PM about doing a repaint for the A2A 182 for EAA Airventure Oshkosh in July

nhfdeng4
Airman Basic

Post by nhfdeng4 »

Thank you all for the responses, I will be buying my flight controls soon.

John

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”