Autopilot Problem?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
jimst57
Airman First Class

Autopilot Problem?

Post by jimst57 »

When I'm flying a flight plan with the Comanche and the Garmin GTN750, it seems the autopilot will only turn the plane at a 5-8 degree bank.
Because of this the plane misses flight paths by quite a bit. Does anyone know if I might be doing something wrong?

I've tried the Garmin with the 172 and it worked as expected. A setting I might be missing?

Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Autopilot Problem?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jim,

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that the S-TEC System 30 autopilot doesn't have an intercept routine like the KAP 140 in the 172. In other words, it's designed to track your existing course, not steer the aircraft onto a new one.

This means that for anything other than very gentle turns in your flight plan, you'll have to switch to HD or ST mode to make the course change manually.

Thanks,
Nick

jimst57
Airman First Class

Re: Autopilot Problem?

Post by jimst57 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Jim,

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that the S-TEC System 30 autopilot doesn't have an intercept routine like the KAP 140 in the 172. In other words, it's designed to track your existing course, not steer the aircraft onto a new one.

This means that for anything other than very gentle turns in your flight plan, you'll have to switch to HD or ST mode to make the course change manually.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks. Thought it might have me but I guess not.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”