A very interesting thing happened in my Comanche...

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
moose4
Airman Basic

A very interesting thing happened in my Comanche...

Post by moose4 »

I bought the Comanche for P3D a few days ago and absolutely love it. I had the 182 for FSX and the Constellation for FSX, and when I decided to make the jump to P3D v4.2, I changed up my A2A stable and grabbed the Comanche instead. And what a sexy piece of work it is.

I had something very strange happen with it tonight, though, and wanted to check here to see if what happened was a bug or a feature. I am flying the Comanche with the F1 GTN 750 installed, and using ActiveSky for P3D v4 for my weather.

I was flying over central France, and the weather was lousy. The thermometer on the window in the cockpit was showing in the low 40s F (around 5C). I was cruising just under 3000', running in and out of a broken cloud layer (OK, more "in" than I should've been, but, hey, it's a sim). I had a little bit of carb heat in to keep the ice out of the carb, and the Comanche was purring along happily at about 140 knots with the altitude hold on and the autopilot on HI mode tracking the GTN 750 course.

I had to glance over at my other screen for some reason. When I looked back...to my surprise, my Comanche was turning right. Quickly. VERY quickly. I clicked off the autopilot and found that even with full left aileron, I couldn't quite get the wings leveled, the plane continued to spiral down to the right. Confused, I bumped the twist on my X52 Pro and lo and behold, the plane snapped out of it. Apparently the rudder was jammed almost all the way to the right? That was odd.

A few seconds later, the Comanche snapped over to the left even harder. I twisted the stick again but this time the rudder did not center, no matter what I did, it didn't respond. I fought it as hard as I could but eventually the plane went into the ground with the wings at a 90-degree angle.

Now my question is...does the Comanche in P3D simulate airframe icing, and if it does, could that have caused this even though the indicated temperature was about 5C? It doesn't appear to have been a control issue as my stick is working properly (I checked it). There was no severe turbulence and no reason for the rudder to suddenly break. If it wasn't icing, I have no clue what could've possibly caused it. It certainly was unexpected and interesting, though, and taught me that this isn't just another jump-in-and-fly airplane!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A very interesting thing happened in my Comanche...

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

when you mention the other screen, did you interact with it?

In FSX and P3D sometimes a control will be stuck in a position if the window focus is lost. I've not tracked down the issue myself to find out why, my old system never use to do it but my current system def does do it very similar to how you mention it.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: A very interesting thing happened in my Comanche...

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I had this issue a few years back. I wasn't sure what was going on the first time it happened. Then the second time (low altitude in B17 over Mount Rushmore) I discovered that the cord between the throttle and stick on my X52 Pro was working loose on the stick end. Not unplugged completely but attempting to come unplugged. Today part of my startup routine is to double check my cords. If it happens again I will also make sure that the sim is the focused window.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”