Correct Use of Fuel Tanks

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
TonyW
Airman First Class

Correct Use of Fuel Tanks

Post by TonyW »

Hi,

Just wondered if there was a best practice in the use of wing tip tanks. I usually switch to the tip tanks for some of the cruise then switch back to the main tanks for approach and landing. In almost all cases the main fuel tanks will contain more fuel than the tip tanks
Am I correct to say that the fuel gauges in the cockpit show only the quantity of fuel in the main tanks, and exclude the wing tip tanks?.

Regards,

Tony

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Correct Use of Fuel Tanks

Post by ClipperLuna »

Tip tanks for cruise in level flight (as needed), mains for everything else. Yes, the fuel gauges that are positioned by the oil temp & press gauges just tell you what's in the main tanks. The tip tanks get their own gauge under the mixture knob, to the left of the gear switch.

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Hi ClipperLuna,

Great thanks - that's what I do most times so good to know I'm following correct procedures.

Regards,

Tony

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

And remember the tip tank gauge in the Comanche roughly shows 1/2 what is actually there. So when it is on F, it's really about 1/2. At 1/2, it's 1/4. At 1/4, it's 1/8th. When the tank is just under 1/4, I leave that fuel in as an emergency source.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Thanks Scott,

I hadn't previously realised that there were gauges for the tip tanks until pointed out by ClipperLuna. I've usually just used F4 to view the quantity. On one flight I forgot to check often enough and ended up running on just one litre of fuel in each tip tank, so basically running on empty! Just another question on this topic - what is the AUX fuel lever for - is it if an extra tank is fitted?

Regards,

Tony

Kortonki
Airman Basic

Post by Kortonki »

Scott - A2A wrote:And remember the tip tank gauge in the Comanche roughly shows 1/2 what is actually there. So when it is on F, it's really about 1/2. At 1/2, it's 1/4. At 1/4, it's 1/8th. When the tank is just under 1/4, I leave that fuel in as an emergency source.

Scott.
Now this is an interesting detail Scott. I always thought the gauges and especially the fuel gauges lacked the inherent inaccuracy they would have in real life. Guess I was wrong then. ;)

I share the same philosophy with TonyW, aux tanks only during cruise. In addition I only use one aux tank at a time while the other selector is to the other main tank. That is just in case I forget to switch back to the main tanks before running the aux tanks dry - the engine would get fuel from one main tank at least.

Here I noticed yet another interesting detail. Apparently there are no check valves in the fuel lines, so fuel actually flowed from the other tip tank to the opposite main tank. My first thought was that the other fuel line was clogged because of the uneven fuel levels. But in the end it was just basic physics, fluid flowing downwards. :mrgreen::idea:

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

TonyW wrote:Thanks Scott,

I hadn't previously realised that there were gauges for the tip tanks until pointed out by ClipperLuna. I've usually just used F4 to view the quantity. On one flight I forgot to check often enough and ended up running on just one litre of fuel in each tip tank, so basically running on empty! Just another question on this topic - what is the AUX fuel lever for - is it if an extra tank is fitted?

Regards,

Tony
Do you mean the switch under the tip tank gauge that swings left and right? It sets which tip/aux tank the gauge reads (IIRC).

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”