On the ILS, in overcast and surprise.

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

On the ILS, in overcast and surprise.

Post by bobsk8 »

I was flying into KEUG this evening on pilotedge, in a heavy overcast, following the ILS for 16R. Lowered the landing gear, and one notch of flaps, and the Comanche rolls sharply to the left. At first it felt like wake turbelence but there were no aircraft in front me on the approach. I quickly retracted the flaps, and got back on the LOC, then I decided to take an external view and lower the flaps one notch, and I immediately saw the problem. Only the left flap was coming down, asymmetrical flap deployment I learned when studying for my PPL exam. So up come the flaps, did a no flaps landing at 90 mph, and after I landed had the maintenace shop fix the flaps. Oh, another thing that happened on the previous flight, I got carb icing on climb out out, but the carb heat took care of that. Just like flying a real aircraft. :)
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: On the ILS, in overcast and surprise.

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I had that happen in the P-51 civ. It put me in for a dirt nap. I'm pretty sure I went full flaps at too high a speed and bent a rod. :roll:

I'm glad you saved your Comanche from disaster. Great job Sir! 8)

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Great stuff, I love this plane!

I think I'm about to have an experience similar to yours with the flaps--the right one's got an awful lot of play in it lately and my mechanic's been telling me to go easy on it. Problem is I just don't feel like taking it in to get it fixed. I mean, who wants to bring their plane out of service for maintenance when there's flying to be done :twisted: ? I've also got a bad oil line spewing 25W-60 everywhere, but I figure adding oil's easier than replacing the line.

Coincidentally, I also had my first experience with wake turbulence recently. Followed a little too closely behind a Baron taking off out of KBVS. Nice gentle climb, then quick as you can blink she almost went over on her side. I thought it was a software or hardware glitch at first, then I laughed a little when I realized what it really was.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice, its the little things that can add so much to the immersion of the fs hobby.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Nice, its the little things that can add so much to the immersion of the fs hobby.

cheers,
Lewis
Hit this last evening on Pilot Edge where the pressure is always up a bit. Flying an LOC backcourse, and about 3 miles out, and I noticed I was a bit low so increase throttle, nothing, increased some more, nothing. Now I am really getting low, and my MP is around 11" with full throttle :shock: . Carb icing..... Yeow, pull carb heat, and it seemed like an eternity until MP and power started increasing.. Again, just like real life.. Love flying A2A.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”