Comanche instrument repaint

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Comanche instrument repaint

Post by Medtner »

As I did with the T6 I have done some small changes to the instruments - mostly clarifying the continous range/non-continous range/redline for the RPM/MP. I've also removed the unneccesary indications on the RPM and MP gauges - the RPM does for example not need to read 3500. If one passes 3000 its safe to say one already has reason to have maintenance people look at the engine.

The CHT gauge has an extended caution area to reflect the reccomended staying below some 400 degrees.

The vacuum gauge has gotten a helpful range indicator so that one can at a glance see if the pump performs ideally.

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Comanche instrument repaint

Post by AKar »

Nice. :) The one thing that doesn't make sense to me personally, is banding of the MP gauge: in this kind of a naturally aspirated engine, it would essentially be green all over. :)

-Esa

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Yeah, I know this, but it’s more as a reference to know that I’m operating where I want to. Also it’s like the T6 - it has yellow marking from 26 inches. If I remember correctly the Cessna 182 green bands are to inform about the range you can play with the rpm/mp freely and not over torque the engine. I’m thinking that the Comanche is the same way (though I haven’t indicated a lower RPM limit.

It surely doesn’t make sense to run the Comanche at 24/1200?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I like your idea. Sometimes I wondered if I could do some did-it-myself-and-saved-money style markings: marker pen on the glass, or a small piece of tape, but never went to check how the gauge glasses are textured. In Comanche, I'd mainly make a small marking on the CHT, at around 380 or so.

Re. minimum RPM, as per engine's data, that would be variable. At 25'', it would be about 1800 RPM, and at maximum MP, 2300 RPM or above.

-Esa

n454mw
Staff Sergeant

Post by n454mw »

Hi, where can I download this modification?
Thanks Mark

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I'll upload it soon on Avsim. Just need to make a few small improvements to make it look better. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

n454mw
Staff Sergeant

Post by n454mw »

Wow Erik, I thought it looked fantastic in the pics.
Thanks Mark

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

That looks great, Erik. This is probably a dumb "noob" question, but did you just do this the same way the rest of the aircraft would be repainted?

I've been meaning to join the ranks of the repainters for some time now. Someday I'll hopefully do it.

geopetlas
Senior Airman

Post by geopetlas »

Morning,

I was just wondering if this is modification has been made available yet?

George
"DON'T THINK! Don't just glance! LOOK! Search for the bastards!"

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

geopetlas wrote:Morning,

I was just wondering if this is modification has been made available yet?

George
I've just finished it and it is uploaded to Avsim. I'll post the link here when it is up - seems to take several hours.

Hope you enjoy the limitations inherent to my colorings. Feel free to use full power - the Comanche can take it. I just enjoy restricting myself a little. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

ClipperLuna wrote:That looks great, Erik. This is probably a dumb "noob" question, but did you just do this the same way the rest of the aircraft would be repainted?

I've been meaning to join the ranks of the repainters for some time now. Someday I'll hopefully do it.
I have no idea, actually, as I have never done repaints of the outside of the aircrafts. I've only tinkered ever so slightly with the instruments to make them reflect my preferences and limitations for easier reference.

The outside I leave to the pros. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Medtner wrote:Here is the link, finally:

https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=201747
I can't find the vc_gxml AND gauges_lm file anywhere in my Comanche folder. Where is it located?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I've neglected to post the full instructions in the installation-document.

The path where the files are is the following:
C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\texture

This may be different if one is using v3 or FSX, but from the SimObjects-folder it should be similar.

Also, be sure to back up both the gauges_lm and vc_gxml files - as they are both repainted.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Medtner wrote:I've neglected to post the full instructions in the installation-document.

The path where the files are is the following:
C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\texture

This may be different if one is using v3 or FSX, but from the SimObjects-folder it should be similar.

Also, be sure to back up both the gauges_lm and vc_gxml files - as they are both repainted.
Just installed it, looks great.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”