How does the Commanche compare to my C182 ?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

How does the Commanche compare to my C182 ?

Post by Gabe777 »

Looking for another plane.

I only have the C182 at the moment, which I use with the GTN 750.

Opinions welcomed.... Commanche or something else ?

I have the Duke, so don't really want another twin....and don't like the view either.

Thnx
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Re: How does the Commanche compare to my C182 ?

Post by J van E »

The difference between the C172 and the Comanche is more interesting than the difference between the C182 and the Comanche. I own the 172, not the 182, and I enjoy the Comanche a lot more. But well, that is also because the C172 doesn't have a prop lever. For you the differences may be less big.

The Comanche does have retractable gear, which is nice. The AP of the Comanche also is very different than the one from the Cessna's: I find it a lot more interesting because it needs more input but if you like things the easy way you may like the Cessna AP more.

Biggest difference of course is high wing versus low wing: Cessna's always make me feel claustrophobic: I have to bow down to look outside. The Comanche has a great panoramic view on the world!

My biggest problem with Cessna's are the panels: I find them utterly boring. The Comanche has a unique panel, in fact, it is no unique you may have to get used to it. But I love it (now).

You might also consider the Cherokee which has a lot of character, I have flown it a lot, but the Comanche simply has more to offer: faster, bigger, more things to keep you busy. Imho the A2A Comanche is the best GA addon ever.

I usually fly it without GPS though. And certainly without the GTN. Such an advanced panel doesn't belong in a plane like this imho (!). :wink: The radio's have some great real life functions but they are wasted once you plug in a GPS.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Hi.

Thnx for that.

Yes it has 2 things I like.... it has the stec doesn't it ? I remember loving that thing many years ago. And I like the view when banking in a low wing I must say. My Duke suxx as it has massive engines on the wing so the view is always rubbish.....as much as I love the Duke, it is really an IFR plane.

Think you're right about the gps too....may get this just as a basic trainer and resist the temptation to stick glass into it.

Thnx again.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

BTW, I have the old DA Piper Cheyenne.....a real classic, and it has a text based gps ! Who would butcher that thing with a glass gps ?

Definitely being judicious with my new 20 grand GTN.... ok....50 bucks, but I can pretend. It is nice though and looks awesome in the 182.....just got it fitted this morning....haven't a clue how it works, but I will suss it out. I will not need to resort to reading the manual...I'm a man, and men don't read manuals !

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

I love the Comanche. To the point that I fly almost nothing else.
I have the 182 and the Cherokee.
(A2A is an addiction)

It's faster - by an order of magnitude.
Cleaner - less buffeting in wind.
Same level of complexity as 182 - rpm...mixture...throttle.
Harder to land...as smoothly - it takes more work to trim to land. The 182, if you cut the throttle you're basically done. The Comanche needs proper trimming to land. Very easy to come in hot.
Great view/visibility.
GTN 750 is a joy.

This is the aircraft that changed me from, take off...autopilot...fly (yawn)...land to - fly the plane the entire flight. I don't use an autopilot anymore. I trim and then I fly.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Taka taka wrote:I love the Comanche. To the point that I fly almost nothing else.
I have the 182 and the Cherokee.
(A2A is an addiction)

It's faster - by an order of magnitude.
Cleaner - less buffeting in wind.
Same level of complexity as 182 - rpm...mixture...throttle.
Harder to land...as smoothly - it takes more work to trim to land. The 182, if you cut the throttle you're basically done. The Comanche needs proper trimming to land. Very easy to come in hot.
Great view/visibility.
GTN 750 is a joy.

This is the aircraft that changed me from, take off...autopilot...fly (yawn)...land to - fly the plane the entire flight. I don't use an autopilot anymore. I trim and then I fly.
Thnx. Interesting.

I agree with the "autopilot....yawn....lamd". I have been flying airliners and they just fly themselves. Coming back to FSX after a long break, and I knew I wanted to fly properly, and am starting with first principles. Ruddet pedals and lessons !

Loving the c182 and think I'll get the commanche and the other one as I can't decide between them.....cherokee! Couldn't think then !

As I have the gtn 650 and 750 I may put a 650 in one, the 750 in anothet and keep one with no gps....amd use radio nav aids !

Yup....loving it.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

The Comanche is absolutely superb.

As we said with the 182 "read the manual"

After that you may like to try the T6 or even the Mk1/Mk2 Spitfire which is an absolute blast to fly once you have read the manual(hehe).

Cheers Chris

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

The Comanche is simply wonderful. It and the Spitfire are my favourite A2A planes by a long shot. But I also have the C182 and Cherokee which are very different but very enjoyable to fly. The C182 is a better bush plane but I used to fly a Cherokee in real life so it brings back many memories, plus I know that it does fly like the real thing. Also, thanks to the instrumentation provided in the Cherokee, you can learn to navigate using VOR radials via the Davtron 903 and S-Tec30 autopilot. For more info on this check the following links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnsqX2um_WQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyV-VbiiJBU

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Also, thanks to the instrumentation provided in the Cherokee, you can learn to navigate using VOR radials via the Davtron 903 and S-Tec30 autopilot.
You can do the same kind of flying with the Comanche! No need to get the Cherokee in order to do that. :wink: I do it ALL the time! There is nothing more satisfying than navigating using VOR only (and an occasinal NDB) in the Comanche with its splendid radio's and the S-Tec30! In fact, it's (partially) easier in the Comanche because it has an HSI: if you are totally new to VOR an HSI makes life a bit easier, I think.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

J van E wrote:
Dogsbody55 wrote:Also, thanks to the instrumentation provided in the Cherokee, you can learn to navigate using VOR radials via the Davtron 903 and S-Tec30 autopilot.
You can do the same kind of flying with the Comanche! No need to get the Cherokee in order to do that. :wink: I do it ALL the time! There is nothing more satisfying than navigating using VOR only (and an occasinal NDB) in the Comanche with its splendid radio's and the S-Tec30! In fact, it's (partially) easier in the Comanche because it has an HSI: if you are totally new to VOR an HSI makes life a bit easier, I think.

Well I want the stec and I want to say gear up.... so Comanche first, and I'll get Cherokee later.

Be nice to see a Cheyenne.....old one with glass gauges. The Digital Aviation is looking a bit dated and would benefit from dedicated accusim.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Get it. You won’t be disappointed
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

SLKVP
Airman

Post by SLKVP »

Dear flightsimmers and A2A people:
First a BIG THANKS to A2A for the great airplanes.

I have around 140 hours in C182 and just 15 in Commanche 250, but I like it very very much !!!

Interesting differences I found:
C182 is fuel injected chas a carburator and one more knob for the heating
In C182 if you have engine roughness most probably is due to plug fouling or not proper mixture. in Commanche oyu need to check for carburator icing
C182 slows down easier, the Commanche (when clean) you have to think and act ahead.
C182 has battery voltage gauge along with clock showing LT, UTC, ET, FT, Commanche has just my Grand fathers' clock.
C182 has low fuel warning, in Commache you have to be alert and switch fuel tanks
C182 has more modern avionics especially on AP segment
The Commanche IMHO is much much more enjoyable to hand fly.

On both I'm struggling with landings trying not to hit the tarmack with my nose wheel - in C182 floating trying to bleed-off speed results on single wing drop and repective side touchdown-first. In the Commanche I thou much less experience i tend to land mains first.

Crosswind approach and heading correction with rudder before touchdown (while Aileron to the wind) looks better and more enjoyable in Commanche.

Sam

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear you are having a blast in the simulators and able to do some good comparisions. Happy flying in the virtual skies

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”