The dangers of base to final

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
sjrichards
Airman Basic

The dangers of base to final

Post by sjrichards »

Have been flying FSX for some years now and this is the first sim aircraft that nearly put in the ground whilst performing a short final, very authentic and immersive. Love the powered stall simulation as well, great job.
Couple of queries regards the Comanche. The fouling of spark plugs seems to resolve by itself when the aircraft is saved overnight, so when I return the issue is not there any longer. I have the C+D start set to on, damage on etc. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Secondly, is any wear and tear, dirt etc visualised on the model over time as hours are accrued. Many thanks

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Re: The dangers of base to final

Post by J van E »

sjrichards wrote:Couple of queries regards the Comanche. The fouling of spark plugs seems to resolve by itself when the aircraft is saved overnight, so when I return the issue is not there any longer. I have the C+D start set to on, damage on etc. Not sure if this is correct or not.
Secondly, is any wear and tear, dirt etc visualised on the model over time as hours are accrued. Many thanks
Not sure about the spark plugs but I would disable Auto C+D anyway: it's more realistic to find the plane the way it was when you left it. And who knows, maybe this also solves the spark plug problem. If you turn Auto C+D on the plane will turn everything C+D even if you didn't leave the plane that way. I personally prefer to shut things down myself and if I forget something, I want to see that the next time I enter the plane. :wink:

And no, wear and tear isn't visualised.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I agree with J van E. Leave C&D off, and she'll still be warm if all you do park the airplane to go and get a hamburger (or IGA fried chicken at Darrington!). You can quit the flight sim, check email or whatever, then come back after an hour or so and she's still warm. Come back tomorrow morning and she'll be cold, but the just way you left her.

I've been working on my landings in the Comanche, trying to get her on the runway without making it like a carrier landing, without floating endlessly toward the end of the runway, either. Calls for careful speed control and good, stabilized approach.

Seeya
ATB

sjrichards
Airman Basic

Post by sjrichards »

Thanks for the info

bkmetz2x205
Airman

Post by bkmetz2x205 »

I had a wing stall while turning to final as well. It was strangely gratifying to know that proper stall recovery has stuck with me since I stopped flying 15 years ago. Sadly I probably was in an uncoordinated turn when it happened. A2A certainly keeps you honest!

-B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bkmetz2x205 wrote:I had a wing stall while turning to final as well. It was strangely gratifying to know that proper stall recovery has stuck with me since I stopped flying 15 years ago. Sadly I probably was in an uncoordinated turn when it happened. A2A certainly keeps you honest!

-B
Just a suggestion;

We molded our stall behavior fairly well in our Accusim aircraft. On that base to final turn if you plan it properly it should result in the sim exactly as it would in the real airplane. I have always taught that turn to be performed with the wing as unloaded as possible. This means that the base to final turn should be a descending turn. This greatly helps to keep things honest stall wise as the wing is not under any appreciable amount of angle of attack so if you are a bit slipped or skidded in the turn your stall chances are greatly reduced.
Try planning a bit better on downwind for that turn. Try it the way I've described it here and you should see a better result. It means you'll be a bit higher going into the base turn but that's ok if you extended the right amount into the key position to allow you to make the turn descending as above.
Good luck and enjoy your A2A accused aircraft.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”