Which default GPS is the Comanche using in P3D?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
J van E
Staff Sergeant

Which default GPS is the Comanche using in P3D?

Post by J van E »

It seems P3D comes with two default GPS units: fs9gps.cab and p3dgps.cab. Which one does the Comanche use?

I am asking this because I am thinking about updating the navdata in P3D with FSAerodata: if you do so you can use SIDs and STARs and all possible approaches in the DEFAULT GPS! How cool is that! BUT it only works when the P3D GPS is used (p3dgps.cab) and not the old fs9gps.cab.

However, when I look into the panel.cfg of the Comanche there is no mention of any cab so I don't know which GPS is being used. Maybe someone from A2A could shed some light on this? Or tell me how to make sure my Comanche will be using the p3dgps.cab in P3D?

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Re: Which default GPS is the Comanche using in P3D?

Post by ROB - A2A »

We use a modified copies of gps units from fs9gps.cab. The modifications provide some graphics improvements and "on/off" feature.

I did some tests and you can replace the gps units on 2D panels (make sure your GPS configuration is DEFAULT):

REMEMBER TO MAKE BACKUP FIRST!

[Window13]
//gauge00=gps!gpsmap_295, 0,0,420,255
//gauge01=gps!gps_295, 45,74,300,215
gauge01=p3dgps!gps_295, 0,0,420,255

[Window14]
//gauge00=gps!gns_400, 0,0,420,217
//gauge01=gps!gps_500, 103,27,310,225
gauge01=p3dgps!gps_500, 0,0,310,217

You can also try the 3D gps but you will get an ugly frame on the display:

[Vcockpit00]
//gauge11=gps!gps_500, 0, 0, 1065, 675
gauge11=p3dgps!gps_500, 0, 0, 1065, 675

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

Thanks for the detailed information and instructions, ROB! :)

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

We will think how to make it more flexible without using/making our copy of the gps, so one could use the p3dgps.cab directly in 2D and 3D. This is for the new planes and maybe retrofit the older ones.

BTW, would FSAerodata work in P3D4?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

ROB - A2A wrote:We will think how to make it more flexible without using/making our copy of the gps, so one could use the p3dgps.cab directly in 2D and 3D. This is for the new planes and maybe retrofit the older ones.

BTW, would FSAerodata work in P3D4?

regards
ROB
That would be nice!

FSAerodata is supposed to work in P3D4, yes. I am in doubt if I should get it: I would LOVE to have the entire sim in sync with Navigraph but ONLY if the data can be used with the GPS in the Comanche (which is my main plane right now): I just don't know if the GPS A2A is using in the Comanche is compatible or not and I don't like ugly looking solutions. :wink: I also don't like to use the Flight1 GTN because it doesn't use Navigraph data and isn't completely in sync with the sim.

I could of course buy FSAerodata and gamble it will work, it isn't too expensive, but I don't have a Navigraph subscription yet and so I also need to get that and then gambling becomes a bit too costly. :wink:

Isn't there anyone here who uses FSAerodata and also uses the Comanche?

orthi
Airman

Post by orthi »

Fsaerodata works a treat with p3dv4. I am in the same boat as the OP. I‘d really love to get rid of the Flight1 GTN in favour of the up to date database I now have.

It is a shame that no one has developed a more featured gns/gtn/whatever that ties natively into said database without any trainer software or the like. This would be so awesome. XP 11 got that right but sadly no A2A there :cry:

SandroUK
Airman Basic

Post by SandroUK »

Just came across this and I want to join the club, it is quite frustrating to have a service such as FsAerodata and then have beautiful aircraft like A2A's with a poor gps which is less functional than what LM offers with P3D and the ability to flight SIDs and STARS, at the end of the day one goes for A2A for accuracy however updating FSAERODATA with your GPS only gives the benefits of having up to date waypoints and GPS approaches (and ILS) losing a fair bit of immersion by having to use a pop up windows.

I hope that as mentioned you can allow the default GPS to be "installed" as it happen for the Flight one (which frankly is garbage as it can't be updated hence less valuable than P3D GPS + FsAerodata and overall this latter solution is also cheaper).

I have read around looking for solutions that many are on the same page...

Thank you very much :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

SandroUK wrote:Just came across this and I want to join the club, it is quite frustrating to have a service such as FsAerodata and then have beautiful aircraft like A2A's with a poor gps which is less functional than what LM offers with P3D and the ability to flight SIDs and STARS, at the end of the day one goes for A2A for accuracy however updating FSAERODATA with your GPS only gives the benefits of having up to date waypoints and GPS approaches (and ILS) losing a fair bit of immersion by having to use a pop up windows.

I hope that as mentioned you can allow the default GPS to be "installed" as it happen for the Flight one (which frankly is garbage as it can't be updated hence less valuable than P3D GPS + FsAerodata and overall this latter solution is also cheaper).

The GPS in the Comanche is the default P3D GPS or you have the option to use either the RXP, Mindstar or Flight1 units dependant on platform.

Remember though, this is GA aviation, not commercial airliner operations.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

SandroUK
Airman Basic

Post by SandroUK »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
SandroUK wrote:Just came across this and I want to join the club, it is quite frustrating to have a service such as FsAerodata and then have beautiful aircraft like A2A's with a poor gps which is less functional than what LM offers with P3D and the ability to flight SIDs and STARS, at the end of the day one goes for A2A for accuracy however updating FSAERODATA with your GPS only gives the benefits of having up to date waypoints and GPS approaches (and ILS) losing a fair bit of immersion by having to use a pop up windows.

The GPS in the Comanche is the default P3D GPS or you have the option to use either the RXP, Mindstar or Flight1 units dependant on platform.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Hi Lewis,

Indeed, also flying some SID with a 180 at 80kts is really not a thing, however implementing it would bring value to the products.

FsAerodata is now very mature, unlike the previous way to update the internal navdata which really broke more things than fixed, FsAerodata does not break anything and really it is cheaper than the GPS that you mentioned (even considering the Navigraph subscription) which really are a waste of money as they have database so old to make them totally useless except for the eyecandy which many people, now that there is an alternative to update the database, are realising by reading forums and checking out YouTube video comments.

I have used the above trick and added the P3D GPS as popup which is better than nothing at all, it should really be LM to offer something better as default.

Thank you again Lewis!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I actually have to disagree with you, since in the professional training market the data being old doesnt matter as the training and procedures is still the same, so the GPS'es even with older data are till valued over new ones with less funtionality.

I've always found it interesting comparing hobby flight simmers to pilot simmers in this area its almost seems back to front for me.

cheers,
Lewis

Randy87
Airman Basic

Post by Randy87 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Hi all,

I am jumping in here because I just found myself in the same boat as the OP. And I have to respectfully disagree with you Lewis.

For example, if I am taking off in the Comanche from Lake Tahoe, it makes a world of difference having the departure procedures for the airport. Any GA flyer would still have to follow standard operating procedures especially for airports like KTVL where terrain and weather can be an issue.

The Comanche is my current favorite aircraft as well, I am currently doing a North American tour and having to fly the departures with no GPS reference. It's probably making me a better pilot, but sometimes I wish I could just load it up in the GPS instead. :wink:

Cheers,
Randev

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Randev, I think you misunderstand me since I agree with you. And this is why we incorporated the support for multiple third party GPS simulations.

thanks,
Lewis

Randy87
Airman Basic

Post by Randy87 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Randev, I think you misunderstand me since I agree with you. And this is why we incorporated the support for multiple third party GPS simulations.

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis,

Apologies if I misunderstood, but I still feel that the default GPS units should have these anyway. As I don't quite understand why it's possible to load an approach but not a departure seems like a waste to not include that.

I guess the gauges are based off the default P3D gps which has the same limited functionality? However with FSAerodata now able to update those units, it is a shame we can't update the A2A ones without the need to purchase yet another addon.

I hope you understand what I mean. :)

Cheers

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”