Crosswind Landings FYI

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Crosswind Landings FYI

Post by bobsk8 »

Been away from the A2A aircraft for a few months, since I started flying Helicopters in P3D. Couple of weeks ago, back to A2A, and flying the Comanche 100%. As a Private Pilot I prided myself on crosswind landings, which never gave me much of a problem. I have my controls in P3D mapped by FSUIPC, since I fly both fixed and rotary wing aircraft, and doing the assignments in FSUIPC makes it so much easier. I also have controllers in P3D enabled so I can use the A2A configurator for a couple of functions, mainly the trim function which works so much better with the A2A config. So what I do in P3D is delete all the control assignments in the P3D menu so that only the FSUIPC axis assignments are working, or so I thought.

Now to my Comanche crosswind landings, which were horrible. I fly a crab down to about 100 feet, then try to kick out of the crab with the rudder, but the rudder action is squirrely, not smooth as I get when flying a real aircraft. First my nose is too far to the right, and then too far to the left. I did touch and goes for a couple of hours, without much improvement. Now I decided to look at my control assignments, and I quickly realized that I had failed to delete the Rudder axis assignment in P3D, which requires going into the axis menu when selecting the CH rudder pedal assignments. The rudder axis was still enabled, which is why I saw sensitivity and null zone for rudder in P3D. So what was happening was I had FSUIPC and P3D both trying to work the rudder. I deleted the axis assignment in P3D, the sensitivity and null zone disappeared in P3D for the CH pedals, and now I tried a touch and go with a crosswind. Smooth as silk, no more problem.

The strange thing is I noticed no problem when taxiing, just on landing. Go figure.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Crosswind Landings FYI

Post by Lewis - A2A »

prime cause for a *bloody computers* and a tut comment :mrgreen: lol
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:prime cause for a *bloody computers* and a tut comment :mrgreen: lol
Yup, I was just about ready to mail the FAA my PPL license back to them... ;)
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

LMAO :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

bobsk8 wrote:Been away from the A2A aircraft for a few months, since I started flying Helicopters in P3D.
Sorry to take your thread off on a slight tangent, but have you found a particularly good helicopter for P3D? I recently switched to P3Dv4 it would be good to find a decent helicopter for it... miss the Dodo, even though I can go back to FSX if needed I much prefer using P3D.

Thanks

Paul

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Blitzer wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:Been away from the A2A aircraft for a few months, since I started flying Helicopters in P3D.
Sorry to take your thread off on a slight tangent, but have you found a particularly good helicopter for P3D? I recently switched to P3Dv4 it would be good to find a decent helicopter for it... miss the Dodo, even though I can go back to FSX if needed I much prefer using P3D.

Thanks

Paul
The best flying Copters I have found are the 530 F from Milviz and the Huey Redux, and Cera Sim AS 365. I don't think any of them work properly in P3D V 4, that is why I stayed with V 3.4 which runs perfectly for me.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”