Tough Aircraft

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
I01
Staff Sergeant

Tough Aircraft

Post by I01 »

In real life I look after any vehicles or equipment I own properly, most lasting for many hours or years. It's a different story with the Comanche, I am guilty of neglect. One paint I didn't top up the oil, ever, and it ran until the level dropped way down and the level indicator in the opening screens was showing red. Even then the engine ran for some time! Eventually I needed to land on a highway, call the mechanics in to get it going again.

One of my favourite paints has had a fuel leak for ages & it hasn't caused any problems (still yellow). Some pots have been yellow for a similar time too. The aircraft still performs ok, mostly like a new one.

In real life we can't see inside our engines so we don't know what's happening until we do a compression test. The fuel leak would most likely be seen, sooner or later though. Mags should show eventually, if the pilot does the checks.

I have fallen into bad ways with my pre flight checks too. :twisted: I haven't seen any rags in the air intake or chunks missing from the prop in the Comanche, yet.

All in all, at the moment, you would not want me flying one of your aircraft. :mrgreen:

The 250 is a robust aircraft. I don't know if the real ones are so tough because I doubt any owners would want their aircraft neglected or abused like I do the A2A versions, so we may never know how they stack up. Sorry for not looking after your aircraft Scott. My pay $$ is so bad I can't afford to do maintenance! :cry:

Ian

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Tough Aircraft

Post by Scott - A2A »

Ian,

The Lycoming 540 can run on VERY little oil (I don't remember the exact amount off hand). While I've never tried this and never will, we do go by the manufacturer's minimums. For me, I keep between 8-9 quarts in the 540.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Tough Aircraft

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote:The Lycoming 540 can run on VERY little oil (I don't remember the exact amount off hand). While I've never tried this and never will, we do go by the manufacturer's minimums. For me, I keep between 8-9 quarts in the 540.
Manufacturer's minimum goes as low as 2¾ qts. I wouldn't dare. :mrgreen:

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”