Maintenance hangar

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Maintenance hangar

Post by guillaume78150 »

The Comanche has now 250 hours on the clock. After a visit in the maintenance hangar, engine is fine, compression test ok but it reports "... core not bad...".
It looks a bit neutral. Former visits reported "Like new" or "Great shape". Time for a complete overhaul? And is there a way to overhaul without resetting the clock to "0"?

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Re: Maintenance hangar

Post by A-26Invader »

Overhauls for horizontal engines should be anywhere between 1700 and 2000 hours..... more or less. 250 hours means you are doing something wrong with power management while flying. Overhauling an engine will not reset airframe hours but it will reset the engine time.
ImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Even if doing something seriously bad, they may last for 2000 hours...or die withing fifty if doing all optimally. :mrgreen:

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I don't think the "core not bad" means it's time for an overhaul anyway. Just a warning that the values which Accu-Sim uses to keep track of the engine's condition are no longer optimal. I think they vary the notes a bit too, so for example one day the mechanic might write "core ok" and the next it might be "fair shape", but mean the same thing.

When it is time for overhaul, I think the notes will be pretty clear on the matter! :)

Cheers,
Nick

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Reports indeed varied from "Like new..." to "Fair shape..."
Strange, I always fly it the same way, parameters in the green range, 2000/2200 RPM, 20/24 In manifold pressure, regular oil change, etc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”