Trying new things.

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
crashxpert
Airman

Trying new things.

Post by crashxpert »

Let me start off by saying im not a real world pilot. I wish I could but with a new 3 week old at home my budget is even tighter. I recently switched to P3d V4 because I was tired of fixing FSX and im loving P3D. I did rebuy the Comanche because it is by far my favorite GA aircraft and I also rebought the Skylane. I have the most time in on my Comanche. Most aircraft I have usually have less then 20 hours but my Comanche is around 125.7 hours. Also the only plane I havent wrecked or crashed. So im at the point in my siming career where I just want to learn and do more real world stuff and when your not a real pilot can be hard to understand. A couple weeks ago I wanted to try radio navigation just because my direct gps routes get boring. I did a couple practice runs going from my local airport La Crosse WI KLSE then to a VOR and back which went well. So I decides to test myself. I removed the gps from the cockpit and used skyvector to plan my route. I took off from KLSE then went to Dells DLL, Stevens Point STE, Wausau AUW, Rhinelander RHI, Eau Claire EAU, Nodine ODI which put me back in sight of KLSE to land. A nice 359 mile trip over central WI. I felt accomplished for doing this route using only a skyvector chart on my Ipad. Didnt even hit shift+5 for the map. This flight was also way less boring then a gps direct or letting the gps autopilot do it all since I was always doing something whether adjusting nav freqs or heading/autopilot tweeks. Fun stuff! Next I need to learn to read charts more so I can do proper air space transitions since this route went through some class D airspace(i think they were D's) and an MOA around Volk Field. Only other issues i had was in real world I would have had to land in Eau Claire. When I left KLSE I didnt take into account that I would only be flying at 4,500 feet full rich. So I should have diverted but pressed on and when I finally landed I had to land on tip tanks with just under a gallon each and main tanks where done to 2 tenths of a gallon. Oops wont make that mistake again!
Anyways just thought I would share an adventure.
As always Thanks to Scott and the rest of the guys at A2A for making sure great aircraft!!!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Trying new things.

Post by Paughco »

Excellent! This, to me, is what flight sim is all about. I recommend that you check out SimCFI's stuff on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkeS0F ... pzxLIlhTzQ. There's one that he posted about landing the P-40, at my request, and I found it to be very helpful. Think I'll take a look at his recent one of pattern work in the Cherokee.

Then download "the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" and "Airplane Flying Handbook" from the FAA's web site here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... /aviation/.

Seeya
ATB

crashxpert
Airman

Post by crashxpert »

Paughco wrote:Excellent! This, to me, is what flight sim is all about. I recommend that you check out SimCFI's stuff on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkeS0F ... pzxLIlhTzQ. There's one that he posted about landing the P-40, at my request, and I found it to be very helpful. Think I'll take a look at his recent one of pattern work in the Cherokee.

Then download "the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" and "Airplane Flying Handbook" from the FAA's web site here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... /aviation/.

Seeya
ATB
Yeah, I subscribe to his YouTube channel. His videos are great! Most of the stuffed I learned about radio navigation and using skyvector I picked up from his videos. Alot of what he says is still over my head but each time I watch them I pick up on something new.
Ill look into that handbook. I see for 10 bucks I can get the iBook version. Might be handy for when I need quick access to it during a flight.
Thanks for the tips!!

crashxpert
Airman

Post by crashxpert »

Also had one other question about this aircraft and its checklist. In the checklist i use it says to start the engine on the fullest tank only. I usually start on both main tanks and when I get to the run up area I cycle through each tank to make sure they are feeding correctly then take off on both main tanks. Then once at cruising alt I turn on fuel pump, switch to tip tanks, fuel pump off and burn 50% of the tip tanks then use the same procedure to go back to the main tanks to keep whats left in the tips for a reserve. In the real world is this not recommended or ill advised?

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”