Alternative GPS

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Alternative GPS

Post by guillaume78150 »

Where to purchase Mindstar or RealityXP GPS ?

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Alternative GPS

Post by mallcott »

guillaume78150 wrote:Where to purchase Mindstar or RealityXP GPS ?
For which sim?

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Sorry, FSX-Acceleration. :wink:

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Thanks ! :wink:

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

BTW, is there a favourite model here? I had a look at the Flight1 GTN650/750.
Any advice?
Thanks.

G.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

That's the one!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The GTN ones do seem to be very popular amongst simmers. Most real pilots go with the GNS options though as they represent better training for the more common GA stuff

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

I have the GTN750 in the Comanche. I think overall it's the most comprehensive GPS available. Terrain awareness (obstacle and land), GPWS, TCASII, terrain display (topo), charts and chart overlays (ILS, RNAV, LPV, GPS, LOC, DPs/STARs/SIDs, select APDs), and so much more. It's a great GPS. The only thing I truly hate about it is the clicking sound. You are unable to turn that touch screen click down and it is way too annoying.

Honestly, if I could install the GNS530 from RXP into Steam I would buy it again and do that just to avoid the clicking. I mean I don't need the charts. I use them but they aren't necessary. I prefer to have them open on a phone or tablet. The GNS still has TCAS and TAWS, roads, decent map display, VNAV calc, and other goodies. I really liked the RXP GNS. 430 and 530 were great. RXP is finally updating them for all platforms but it's taking a long time. :?

It's really about the platform you are using. FSX accel you can use any one of them. The options dwindle as you go to newer platforms or FSX:SE. Once RXP releases their updated versions, I will likely buy the GNS530 and replace the GTN750. The 530 is a downgrade in the GPS world, but the clicking drives me insane.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Great GPS indeed. However, the "GPS" position on the dashboard GPS/NAV switch is inactive.
Maybe I missed something, but how to connect the autopilot to the GPS flight plan?

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

guillaume78150 wrote:Great GPS indeed. However, the "GPS" position on the dashboard GPS/NAV switch is inactive.
Maybe I missed something, but how to connect the autopilot to the GPS flight plan?
You do need to read the manual for the GPS

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

guillaume78150 wrote:Great GPS indeed. However, the "GPS" position on the dashboard GPS/NAV switch is inactive.
Which GPS did you buy? You need to click the CDI button (GNS model) to be in GPS mode. It's on the bottom middle of the touch screen on the GTN, and is labeled "CDI", it will change from VLOC to GPS. As long as the CDI is selected, you do not have to worry about the switch on the Comanche panel. Leave it in NAV. But keep in mind that the lateral tracking is poor, so tight turns will overshoot quite a bit. You can enter heading mode if it's an issue (e.g., approaches, stricter airspace corridors). Otherwise, leave the AP in HI track mode. Also, the CDI needle in the HSI will not turn the course to the next track, you can manually turn it or just leave it off course. It will still fly the GPS track.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Hi Chris,
GTN750.
Got it. That device is not only a GPS but a complete nav system.
Thanks !

BTW, the "click" noise can be turned down. It's in the GTN Config Tool as below.
Scroll down the window and the "Play Click" option appears.

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

guillaume78150 wrote:Hi Chris,
GTN750.
Got it. That device is not only a GPS but a complete nav system.
Thanks !

BTW, the "click" noise can be turned down. It's in the GTN Config Tool as below.
Scroll down the window and the "Play Click" option appears.

Oh, outside the sim?!? Thanks! Man, trying to change it in the sim didn't work and I was always so bothered by it, lol. Thanks. I'll go check it out now.
Chris J.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”