Holy Crepe!!! That Dirty No-Good

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Taka taka
Senior Airman

Holy Crepe!!! That Dirty No-Good

Post by Taka taka »

I am coming into LAX and cleared for 24R when the GPS starts yelping TRAFFIC.

Over my head by a hundred...three hundred feet is a 737-800 (AI).
"You stupid sonova seadog..."
There is a distinct bump from his wake. It rolls us to the left a bit.

As he gets closer ATC waives him around and I get to land no worries.

The screen shot is a good 1.5 - 2.5 seconds later - "Oh crap - shift, no ctrl prnt scrn."

I love this.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Re: Holy Crepe!!! That Dirty No-Good

Post by Orlaam »

That AI really screws things up often. I hate a GA for no reason. On the other hand, landing such a slow plane probably doesn't happen much at such a big hub. There's a well known young pilot who lands at KORD in a Cessna on YouTube. You know the controllers and large operators were real happy with him, lol.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

That happened to me far too often. Try out AISmooth: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... -aismooth/

It resolved the issue for me, a lot less go arounds with more traffic, a must-have for busy airports.

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

This was the first time it has happened to me. :shock:

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I'm using ORBX's free download for AI aircraft traffic. I'm using it per their recommendations, and there is absolutely zero airline AI traffic. Might have to look into that...

Seeya
ATB

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

I used AIsmooth in FS9 and it really improved things...

AI Controller is the new kid on the block and works with FSX/P3D... It's far more sophisticated and is a complete AI solution - might be worth a gander...

Free

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4989 ... open-beta/

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

No, it is not an AI issue. Just a tale around the fire.

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

I know I used AISmooth in FS9 as well, but that was so many years ago, I have no clue what it did or whether I kept using it. AI Controller looks complicated IMO.

I typically don't have too many run-ins with AI, as I keep traffic set kinda low for performance reasons.

Paughco - ORBX AI traffic only provides general aviation traffic and I believe it requires their airports to work (e.g., freeware NA pack, payware add-ons). It doesn't come with airline traffic at all. For airline you have to look elsewhere. WOAI is free (what I'm using) but it's dated. UT and many others exist that are more current. Also, using the navdata upgrades from http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html unfortunately breaks a lot of AI routes and reduces traffic depending on certain factors. I haven't been able to elucidate what the criteria is to avoid this issue, because I had AI traffic but it was a lot less at the same setting. Once I removed the NavData updates, it all came back. I'm trying to find out if the pay site that offers Navdata also breaks AI.

Taka Taka - Sometimes what you can do in this situation is listen to the tower far enough out to see if any traffic is being directed to a certain runway. If ATC is clearing all traffic to 25L for example, then request 25R once you ask for landing clearance. Unfortunately, you can't request a runway change once you've accepted landing clearance to runway XYZ, which is stupid. In a plane as slow as this Piper, it's easy to wait a while to obtain clearance and have time to plan. Much harder in a fast jet or turboprop that keeps you busy from approach to landing. You can usually tune the tower in ATC about 25 to 30 miles out. Plenty far to see what's going on in most cases. Nevertheless, you will be overrun often by AI, and side-stepping won't help much. AI doesn't really follow a proper path and angle to the runway. They will appear out of nowhere, about 500 feet or so too low and cross over an extended centerline on final to land. It's ridiculous. They will go-around, despite overtaking you by 2 miles; however, you must be cleared to land by tower or they will land. I have had a couple get pretty far ahead of me on final, even in a Boeing, and tower made them go around, but only because tower cleared me to land. Works nice on downwind approaches or circle to land situations, since tower clears you parallel the numbers usually, but straight in approaches are much harder.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

I believe that the AI was cleared to follow me in, but overshot me and therefore got waived.

More than anything this to me is a feature, not a bug nor does it need correcting.
I have too many hours flying both on my pc and irl. I was just sharing. I really found it "refreshing."

It has not happened this close before.
When the GPS alarm went off I could not see, hear or feel him but a second later and there was a wake and then the ATC reacted in a somewhat appropriate manner. I was singing the praises of A2A aircraft that acted in a realistic way. I am impressed.

The rest was me sharing the story while we all shared a beer. ;)

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”