confused over range

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
akmatov
Airman First Class

confused over range

Post by akmatov »

Seriously considering a Comanche, but I'm confused about range. According to the promotional video the Comanche has a range of @1200 miles, but according to a variety of sources I'm seeing the range as 630 - 1063. Well aware of the variations caused by fuel, altitude, cruising speed, etc, but is 1200 a reasonably attainable range?

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Re: confused over range

Post by Orlaam »

I'm seeing 1100nm as the average. If you open the pilot notes tab on this plane it shows endurance info for your current flight. I'd never dream of going that far, no time or patience for hours in a sim. I still think 1100 is being generous. So many factors knock that down I'm sure. I fly without tip tanks and endurance is like 4+ hours. It's a wonderful plane though.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

confused over range

Post by scottb613 »

Many times it seems the marketing folks create the performance numbers for a given aircraft - for any number of reasons - age - less than perfect flying - and yes - even exaggeration - makes it difficult to make "book" performance in a given aircraft...

The stated range above 630 or 1063 is probably with and without tip tanks.

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

akmatov wrote:Seriously considering a Comanche, but I'm confused about range. According to the promotional video the Comanche has a range of @1200 miles, but according to a variety of sources I'm seeing the range as 630 - 1063. Well aware of the variations caused by fuel, altitude, cruising speed, etc, but is 1200 a reasonably attainable range?
Tip tanks on, or off?

akmatov
Airman First Class

Post by akmatov »

Ah Tip Tanks, frankly hadn't thought of that. The 1200 miles Scott and the accompanying map cited probably referred to was with full tip tanks (and no one in the aircraft but my 98 pound girlfriend at the yoke with favorable winds). Thanks guys, curiosity bump cured.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

akmatov wrote:Ah Tip Tanks, frankly hadn't thought of that. The 1200 miles Scott and the accompanying map cited probably referred to was with full tip tanks (and no one in the aircraft but my 98 pound girlfriend at the yoke with favorable winds). Thanks guys, curiosity bump cured.
Tip Tanks, minimal baggage, self loading or otherwise, fly at optimum altitude, lean properly, no headwind and decent weather. And to reflect Scav;s post below, let's not forget `bladder range` - no point having a 1200 mile plane, and a 400 mile bladder... :oops:

These are bog-basic flying criterion for ANY max range operation. The one that is exclusive to the Comanche are the aero tweaks which are optional in the aircraft menu like Elevator bullets.

For those you need to check out the videos across the net - or just buy the thing already! :lol:
Last edited by mallcott on 27 May 2017, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

I just completed a hop from Houston, TX to Sedona, AZ using 34 gallons. I for one welcome our ridiculously efficient overlords.

Edit: I'm flying with all of the mods enabled (knots2u full package, custom prop, etc.). The virtual owner spared no expense getting this aircraft in tip-top shape and it shows; the original destination was northern California via the coast after slogging it IFR through central Texas. The only reasons the stop at SEZ was done was because in spite of sipping 11 GPH of gas at high altitude, the approach was not to be missed and the pilot and passenger both needed a rest stop.

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Scav wrote:I just completed a hop from Houston, TX to Sedona, AZ using 34 gallons. I for one welcome our ridiculously efficient overlords.

Edit: I'm flying with all of the mods enabled (knots2u full package, custom prop, etc.). The virtual owner spared no expense getting this aircraft in tip-top shape and it shows; the original destination was northern California via the coast after slogging it IFR through central Texas. The only reasons the stop at SEZ was done was because in spite of sipping 11 GPH of gas at high altitude, the approach was not to be missed and the pilot and passenger both needed a rest stop.
In honour of your post, I added `bladder range` to my list. How could we have forgotten that!?! :| :oops: :P

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

mallcott wrote:In honour of your post, I added `bladder range` to my list. How could we have forgotten that!?! :| :oops: :P
If there's one thing I've learned (if I've learned anything at all), it's this: Lady Nature can be quite rude -- she never leaves voicemails when she calls. :mrgreen:

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”