BRRRrrr...Alaska Highway!

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

BRRRrrr...Alaska Highway!

Post by AKar »

While I've had hardly any sim hours since last summer, I now had a chance to take the Comanche for a nice - and cold! - VFR trip I've never done before, from Watson Lake, Yukon, to Whitehorse, Yukon too. This fits entirely within Orbx Southern Alaska region. The route would follow the Alaska Highway in visual, cruise altitude being 4500 ft which should provide adequate terrain clearance and keep me close enough to the deck to track visual. Now, in reality, you'd need to consider the modestly cold weather causing altimeter errors (reading too high) if your QNH source was significantly lower than your current altitude. In the simulator, this is not the case however.

Trusty Comanche standing at Watson Lake. You'd seriously wouldn't go flying wearing gear they do! The temps at Watson Lake were at around -30 °C. There are some other things to consider too: In this cold, the seal rings in gear struts make an immediate usual suspect, so note for any leaks and shake the plane some. If bush flying, you ought to be familiar with how to replace the critical strut seals in the field. Not surprisingly, you'd mostly find Cessnas with their non-oleos much more utilized in such conditions.

An engine heater is a must, you'd stand no chance otherwise. Use the lowest-W multigrade oil tested and approved. In our case in A2A Comanche, that would be Phillips 20W-50, Forget about light checks and other things draining your battery. I'd also start without electric fuel pump if having cold batteries, with primer alone, if you know the plane can do that. After startup, your fancy televisions would be all but useless, until the liquid crystals warm up some. The gyros may or may not cope with, they appear to do just fine mostly. In the simulator, all this is relatively straightforward, and off we go!

Against what one might think, these kind of conditions are generally not much of an icing hazard of any kind, for the air is very dry. So, carburetor heat is not required, nor you'd need any FIKI aircraft. However, be sure to check the airplane for any accumulated frost if parked outside. With most profiles, the frost is actually not that much of penalty, and if escaping a wolf pack or something, I wouldn't consider a thin frost layer that much of a problem that my number of remaining ammunition was. Still, it is not something you'd want to try in reality, so Clean Wing Principle it is! Remember, no mechanical de-icing (scraping) is to be done, unless specifically allowed for! Also, keep your pitot heat on regardless to keep the tube clear of any blowing snow your prop or wind might kick up.

You'd mostly forget about stuff like ground leaning: the fuel evaporation is already somewhat compromised even with gasoline, and the actual mixture is way leaner than expected. You may even want to experiment with partial carburetor heat to aid the mixture formation. At takeoff, expect somewhat sporty performance for conditions. Especially when the departure airport is located in a valley or some, expect a strong inversion (increase in OAT when climbing) as the cold air sinks to the bottom.

AS16 wants to throw in these low level clouds where none were predicted or expected... you'd expect such in windy conditions and over & near any non-frozen water bodies. Any occasional low-level could is most likely of ice crystals blown around, and of zero icing hazard in general. But if you had some significant non-frozen water nearby, this stuff is likely a mix of supercooled water mist - as bad as it gets!

I can almost imagine the Uncle Scrooge here!

Now, at surface the temps were down to -40 °C. For most of us flying at the comfort of our PC corners, there are some implications. A Piper is not an Audi. It is neither T-shirt comfortable nor it is the most reliable machine the mankind has invented (even if cheating on emissions was allowed!). Not that Audi was either, but anyway!

Flying a single over this rugged terrain, I'd actually prefer a VFR I-follow-the-roads kind of flying, for this keeps me inherently close to a soon rescue should I crash-land. In these temps, even an hour with a broken leg would be rather extreme, I'd think. You also want to be extremely careful with leaning. With any engine issue, the immediate memory items would be mixture full rich.....if to no avail, then carburetor heat / alternate air ... apply.

And of course...you'd want to avoid hitting those big rocks too! It is still in fashion, it seems, even with all the toys around.

Ain't it nice to see some civilization!

Google Earth Track here for the route.

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: BRRRrrr...Alaska Highway!

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful images, wow great come back flight 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, good to see you heading off with the trip tanks again Esa. No. 6 makes me want to go and explore some glacial valleys of my own. "BRRRrrr" sounds about right too - I think the coldest outdoor temperature I've experienced is about -10°C. Talk of temperatures of -30°C reminds me of a column I once read by Bill Bryson, part of his Notes from a Big Country.
Bill Bryson wrote:Nineteen degrees below zero [-28°C] is unusually cold even for northern New England, so I was interested to see how long I could bear such an exposure, and the answer was thirty-nine seconds. I don't mean that that's how long it took for me to get bored with the idea, or to think, Gracious, it is rather chilly; I guess I'll go in now. I mean that's how long it took me to be so cold that I would have climbed over my mother to get inside first...
Such low temperatures may not seem so extreme for you hard-bitten Finnish sorts, of course! :)

Cheers,
Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

We had -26 °C here one morning this week, not exceptional but rather cold still for Helsinki area, the winters are on average rather mild in here. It is funny how one gets used to cold so quickly - now when it is only just below zero it feels like one could leave in summer cloths! :D

There is much to explore in SAK, IMO one gets most out of it by following the major roads or rivers through the valleys. If one wants to go direct, the minimum safe altitudes for most IFR routes are so high that you don't get much off the scenery - nor off the Comanche, as we'd be forced to fly uncomfortably high.

-Esa

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Cool trip, great shots, thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
I am currently in the middle of a US cross country trip with my Cherokee, where I managed to "toast" my starter on a less than 10hrs old aircraft. It was only -8C, - 2 attempts, starter got "yellow" and the second time -12C after 3 unsuccessful starts - the starter gave out. I should wait more between the startup attempts and use the heater. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Those pictures look so real. The shadows in the cockpit really sell the sense of being there. Right down to the washed out look of sunlight through high thin cold clouds.

The technique for (really) cold starts as taught by my old man:
1) Double check the magnetos are off and turn over the prop at least once for each cylinder until the compression comes up.
2) Turn on the pump and lots of primer. Turn off the pump.
3) Turn over the engine by hand again, at least once for each cylinder.
4) Mixture full rich. Do not pump the throttle at all. Just barely crack the throttle.

Then hit the ignition or hand-prop it to life. I've gotten small lycomings to start on the first blade by hand. Worked on O-80's too. When I did the test flight on my PA-24-250 (before purchasing it) the battery was dead, it was -12, and we had to hand prop it to get it to run. This worked a treat.

I hate prepping aircraft in cold weather. If it gets below -20 the whole process is complete agony.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

William Hughes wrote:Those pictures look so real. The shadows in the cockpit really sell the sense of being there. Right down to the washed out look of sunlight through high thin cold clouds.
I understand you're from near Vancouver? From what I hear that is a very nice corner of the world (as in reality!), and perhaps my favorite sim places to fly. From Southern Alaska down to US border or so ... Kelowna, Castlegar and everything! :) And the coast!

(BTW, I'm trying to back off, so to say, with my PTA settings and everything, and play with the in-sim HDR to get an eye-real instead of photo-real feel - ASCA doesn't provide the clear blue skies as I'd like it to for my winter tests but some tweaks might do it! I'm glad you found some of similar realism feel still that I did too...If I only get this clear blue when needed, then I'm almost there!)
William Hughes wrote:I hate prepping aircraft in cold weather. If it gets below -20 the whole process is complete agony.
I recall from the Air Force that the amount of time spent from the pilot arriving to the airplane is inversely proportional to the #1 startup. :mrgreen: Luckily for them, we the tech did the technical pre-flights and luckily for us, for 90 % we did these in the hangar before towing the plane into the flight line. Still, the slow list readers had their names memorized very quickly! :mrgreen:

-Esa

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Yes, Vancouver now, but my first 30 years flying was in northern Saskatchewan. Vancouver is a beautiful place to live, and the scenery out here is impressive. I particularly like the Vancouver-Hope-Kamloops-Blue River-Jasper VFR route out towards Edmonton.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

A high school friend-of-mine, a brilliant gal she was as I remember, did her first exchange around Vancouver I think. She having visited about 90 % more of the World back then of I've visited as of now, I recall she had only nice things to say about SW Canada - even if including the Washington state! :mrgreen:

I hope to visit there once at least! :) I understand it is also about the culture, you south there having somewhat of at least some of some traits of European way of thinking and of the American as well.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”