Always be aware of runway length and wind direction!

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
mlb406
Airman

Always be aware of runway length and wind direction!

Post by mlb406 »

Hi all,

I decided to fly around a very small grass strip airfield in Yorkshire, UK, using a scenery made by yours truly.

I landed a few times on the longer runways, which are still only 350~ metres long (there are 3 total).

Then I tried to take off on the shortest runway for the second time, this time though flying in the NE direction.

This happened.

Without realising, I had taken off on a 250~metre runway, with 4 pax on board, with a 12 knot tailwind.

Safe to say I'll be adding a windsock to that scenery!

Max

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Always be aware of runway length and wind direction!

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Taking your plane for a bath is generally not considered to be a good idea. :lol:

Nice looking scenery, by the way. Whereabouts in Yorkshire is it located?

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

mlb406
Airman

Post by mlb406 »

Mike,

The airfield is callled Hollym, and is a farm strip in the real world. It's not in default FSX, or even ORBX, so I made my own scenery to cover it.

It's located just south of Withernsea, on the east coast.

Hope this helps,

Max

And I'll try not to take my plane for a swim next time!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good cautionary tale Max - I'm sure the RNLI guys from Spurn would have fished you out eventually! I didn't know that aerodrome was there, even though I've sailed past plenty of times. The runways are getting shorter by the year I imagine, as the number of lodges on the adjoining holiday park decreases... :shock:

Cheers,
Nick

mlb406
Airman

Post by mlb406 »

Nick M wrote:Good cautionary tale Max - I'm sure the RNLI guys from Spurn would have fished you out eventually! I didn't know that aerodrome was there, even though I've sailed past plenty of times. The runways are getting shorter by the year I imagine, as the number of lodges on the adjoining holiday park decreases... :shock:

Cheers,
Nick
Nick,

You are definitely correct about the runways getting shorter. As visible in the above google earth photo, the Yorkshire coast lays claim to the worst coastal erosion in Europe!

Max

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

mlb406 wrote:Mike,

The airfield is callled Hollym, and is a farm strip in the real world. It's not in default FSX, or even ORBX, so I made my own scenery to cover it.

It's located just south of Withernsea, on the east coast.

Hope this helps,

Max

And I'll try not to take my plane for a swim next time!

Thanks Max. The reason that I ask is because I was born in Yorkshire, but we left there when I was 2 1/2, so I can't say I know it at all. I was back there in 2015, but didn't get to that part of the county. I've heard about the erosion of the shoreline in that part of England, so I wonder how much longer that airfield will be usable.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”