Cover me; I'm goin' in...

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
jiva602
Airman

Cover me; I'm goin' in...

Post by jiva602 »

After weeks of careful consideration of my goals and intentions with flight sim, I have pretty much set my sights on a Comanche as my next aircraft purchase. This is after a couple of months flying the Skylane exclusively. Any thoughts you can share with me about making this transition as smooth as possible?
N108ES

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cover me; I'm goin' in...

Post by Paughco »

The Comanche is a more complex airplane, because it has retractable gear. The autopilot is more rudimentary; there is no approach button. It can track a localizer, but not the glideslope. Maybe it's just my setup, but she's pretty sensitive in pitch, so you'll have to go easy on the yoke when doing delicate work, such as following the glideslope. She's got a carburetor, not fuel injection, so you have to watch for carb ice. Any time you can see a cloud, you need to look at your manifold pressure to see if it has dropped since the last time you looked - be ready with the carb heat. I run my N5665P with all the aero accessories installed, but without tip tanks.

If you want to see a flight involving both the Skylane and the Comanche watch Sim CFI's IFR flight from Chico to Redding. He starts out in the Skylane, then instantly switches to the Comanche due to trouble with the DME on the localizer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqTHSRV0TYg

Download the Comanche manual and look through it. High performance, plenty of range.

You won't be sorry.

Seeya
ATB

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

A couple of other things I'd add is that the airspeed indicator is in miles per hour, so you'll need to get used to reading higher numbers. However, if you fly by the numbers, the unit of measurement shouldn't make any difference. For example, on take off, rotate at 80mph indicated, which is actually about 67kn. Secondly, you'll find this plane doesn't float like the 182 does, so your approach speeds will be higher until you cross the fence. You will find that it will sink faster so the height at which you flare is important, as is how you then hold the plane off. It's very satisfying when you get it right.

Hope you enjoy many hours in this beauty.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

jiva602 wrote:After weeks of careful consideration of my goals and intentions with flight sim, I have pretty much set my sights on a Comanche as my next aircraft purchase. This is after a couple of months flying the Skylane exclusively. Any thoughts you can share with me about making this transition as smooth as possible?
Yes, remember the retractable gear... :roll:

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hehehe.

Cheers Chris

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Craig