Captain of the Ship 049 "Connie" 12-minute promo video

The "Queen of the Skies"
gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Captain of the Ship 049 "Connie" 12-minute promo video

Post by gulredrel »

Ordered this one last week: Lockheed Constellation: Eine Legende der Luftfahrt
Don't know if it's the German translation or a different book. Anyway, will unwrap it on Boxing Day :mrgreen:
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Yes, that's the one.

Hope the German translation is better than the English translation, which is quite bad. Unfortunately my reading French isn't up to all the technicalities, so I'm stuck with the English version.

Fortunately the illustrations (and there are lots of them) speak for themselves.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Okay, thanks. WIll see. Had French in school but... Rien ne vas plus... :roll: :mrgreen:
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Yossarian1943
Airman First Class

Post by Yossarian1943 »

gulredrel wrote:Ordered this one last week: Lockheed Constellation: Eine Legende der Luftfahrt
Don't know if it's the German translation or a different book. Anyway, will unwrap it on Boxing Day :mrgreen:
...I ordered "Super Constellation - Backstage" a few weeks ago, and will unwrap it on Boxing Day. :wink:

btw some interesting titles there. Maybe some orders will follow. Love x-mas time. :D
ImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

gulredrel wrote:Had French in school but... Rien ne vas plus... :roll: :mrgreen:
I know the feeling... 8)

The English edition is full of things like a callout subhed that reads "War end, so do the orders." You can see how the original French led to that, but it really needed another serious editing pass.

Ah, but the pictures, the pictures!

Am sure you'll enjoy it even if the text doesn't measure up. But I hope it does.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Yossarian1943 wrote:
...I ordered "Super Constellation - Backstage" a few weeks ago, and will unwrap it on Boxing Day. :wink:
Oh, wow, didn't know about that one. Order placed. My bank account hates you. And if we're lucky, soon it will hate A2A...

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Alan_A wrote:
Yossarian1943 wrote:
Oh, wow, didn't know about that one. Order placed. My bank account hates you. And if we're lucky, soon it will hate A2A...
A nice collection of pictures and stories, but there aren't a lot of deep facts about the Connie included.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Breffort's book is very good. I have a copy myself and won't part with it. But if you want a better book, try "The Lockheed Constellation" by Peter J Marson, published by Air Britain, ISBN 0 85130 366 8. What you get is two books; one very detailed book on the Connie and all it's variants and a second volume with the history of every one built.It details the development of the plane, it's operators, flying reports, air routes etc, plus a small selection of colour pictures and a selection of colour profiles. Definitely one of the more comprehensive aircraft histories I've ever read. It was published in 2007 so you probably won't find it in anything other than a secondhand shop or on line. Air Britain are having a sale right now of their secondhand catalogue.

http://www.air-britain.com/second.html#

Alternately, look on line online at AbeBooks or Bookdepository.

For those interested in propeller driven airliners, they also do an excellent book on the Convair 240/340/440 series, again complete with all individual aircraft histories. Another "must have" for propliner fans.

https://www.air-britain.co.uk/actbooks/ ... tml#SID=13

Sorry to further assist enthusiasts in further lightening their wallets at this time of year, but when you have an itch, it just has to be scratched :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

hanss
Airman

Post by hanss »

All,

According to Alan's mail, which says KLM was a launching customer, there would be a good reason to include a KLM livery.
I hope that is the case. Otherwise I'll have to wait till someone makes a repaint. This could take some time though.

Regards

Hans

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

cbramkamp wrote: A nice collection of pictures and stories, but there aren't a lot of deep facts about the Connie included.
Figured as much from the descriptions. But there are worse things than a coffee-table book about the Breitling Super Connie...
Dogsbody55 wrote: Breffort's book is very good. I have a copy myself and won't part with it. But if you want a better book, try "The Lockheed Constellation" by Peter J Marson, published by Air Britain, ISBN 0 85130 366 8.
Looks impressive. I'll have to see about ordering from their used book list. Bit of a price gap - it's reasonably priced in their used catalog. At Amazon in the US, prices start at $250 and escalate quickly into the $600-700 range.

Another authoritative Constellation book: Luisada's Queen of the Skies. Not well illustrated but a very comprehensive history.

More to keep us busy while we wait, wait, wait...

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

The manual has been posted! I'm running for my printer now! :-D
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Yossarian1943
Airman First Class

Post by Yossarian1943 »

Medtner wrote:The manual has been posted! I'm running for my printer now! :-D
Two new COTS forums. Ssssst! I can hear Santa's sleigh bells! :D
ImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

This plus the 717. Goodbye, solvency! It's been real. See you on the other side!

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Alan_A wrote:This plus the 717. Goodbye, solvency! It's been real. See you on the other side!
Hold the door open for me, will you?

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

molleh wrote:
Alan_A wrote:This plus the 717. Goodbye, solvency! It's been real. See you on the other side!
Hold the door open for me, will you?
After you! 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”