Lycoming O-540 cold start

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Lycoming O-540 cold start

Post by AKar »

mallcott wrote:1: We need to be careful with too much cross-fertilisation of the design and construction of aviation versus. automotive oils. While there IS crossover, there is also considerable dissimilarity in the blends - even when the headline technical information would apparently indicate a high degree of commonality.
Yes, I'd compare the two specifically to point out the differences instead of similarities. Even the starting point is different: most modern car oils are almost invariably full synthetic.
mallcott wrote:2: Aviation oils will tend to work in a far greater range of temperatures than auto oils, and are surely compiled and manufactured to suit the specific requirements of the aviation industry. But there is a caveat: Modern aircraft engine oils and modern engines go together because they're designed that way. Aviation oils have to have high stability over long periods of non-use, but only for short periods IN use - 50-100 hour change intervals are still the norm, while your car might go 2 years between oil and filter changes, with near-daily use the norm.
Yes in principle, and there have been advances in aviation oils as well. While they hardly are state-of-the-oil-art, older airplane manuals do contain some subtle clues in their operating procedures which in particular make sense when realizing that the engine oils from the bygone years really weren't such like AeroShell 15W-50, and coagulation even in relatively mild temperatures could have been an issue.

When it comes to the oil change intervals, there are other aspects that come into play than the oil's stability on its own, which typically is not an issue over the regular change intervals. The interval is not short in hours only: Lycoming suggests a maximum of four months in between the oil changes. So does Continental, I think remembering. The issue is mainly with the contaminants these oils tend to collect (by design), moisture combined with bypassed combustion products for a big part. For many airplanes, if only it was followed, the 4-month interval would be the determining one instead of the hour-based one. For a much-flown airplane, where good engine management is employed, I personally wouldn't see a problem in extending the oil change interval to 100...200 hours, instead of common 50. But of course, one would need to ask why to do that. Oil changes are the cheapest maintenance. In similar sense, I see no point in oil change intervals that many automobile manufacturers promote (indeed, certain engines have ran into issues when these are followed): why to get cheap on frequently changing $/€50 oils with an expensive engine?

In aviation world, there is also that the filter inspection (if performed, of course!) obviously coincides with the oil and filter change. The oil and filter content analysis give a look into the engine's health, and frequent sampling is only better. While if I had a constantly flown airplane, I wouldn't obsess about the 50-hour interval but surely would recommend it in any case.

-Esa

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

mallcott wrote:Aviation oils have to have high stability over long periods of non-use, but only for short periods IN use - 50-100 hour change intervals are still the norm, while your car might go 2 years between oil and filter changes, with near-daily use the norm.
The norm for aircraft is 50 hours. 25 hours if there are oil screens instead of a filter.
AKar wrote:The interval is not short in hours only: Lycoming suggests a maximum of four months in between the oil changes. So does Continental, I think remembering. The issue is mainly with the contaminants these oils tend to collect (by design), moisture combined with bypassed combustion products for a big part.

Lycoming is four months. Continental was six months -- that may have change recently.

Correct wrt the contaminants. Blow-by contaminants are the issue.
AKar wrote:For a much-flown airplane, where good engine management is employed, I personally wouldn't see a problem in extending the oil change interval to 100...200 hours, instead of common 50.
Personally I would see a problem. A big problem. The only time I have *ever* heard of a 200hour oil change was when the FAA granted an STC for an 200hr change for Mobil AV1 -- but that stuff was yanked from the market years ago.

Mike Busch apparently would see a problem too. Read his little story about when to change at the beginning of his The Savvy Aviator #52: Thinking About Oil Changes.
AKar wrote:
mallcott wrote:I would have thought it would have to be an engine-specific requirement for single grade oils, I can't think of any other reason for using one in this day and age
I can't think of one either unless it came down to certain specific additives specific to some oil grades, but that's hard to buy. I do not know if there are any specific issues with the accessories in certain old engines, or rear end.
Read "Lie #3" from The Ten Biggest Lies About Piston Aircraft Engines.

Single Vis oils still recommended by engine re-builders such as Ram Aircraft, Penn Yan, etc.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Great Ozzie wrote:
AKar wrote:For a much-flown airplane, where good engine management is employed, I personally wouldn't see a problem in extending the oil change interval to 100...200 hours, instead of common 50.
Personally I would see a problem. A big problem. The only time I have *ever* heard of a 200hour oil change was when the FAA granted an STC for an 200hr change for Mobil AV1 -- but that stuff was yanked from the market years ago.
Okay, "no problem" is perhaps too light attitude :), but let us get a bit behind the point. With that hypothetical high-time airplane btw, I mean one accumulating really high time when compared to typical GA, as in, say 8 hours a day for example, for some time span. Say, during that operation we wanted to change the oil every two weeks. That is, approximately every 112 hours, putting us into aforementioned range.. or maybe three weeks, which would mean 168 hours. The time the oil sits in the engine won't get very high if we for some reason wanted to skip the 50-hour check and go straight to the 100 for instance. For sake of it, let this hypothetical operator go to maximum insult, and do the oil change every 3 weeks / 168 hours. (To underline, I would not suggest this! Only for discussion, so to say.)

What becomes a factor is that these engines do consume oil. It could be something like one litre/quart in ten hours, as one rule of thumb is. So, it would not be unreasonable to expect the operator to top the oil, just say, every 30 hours.

So, while it should be taken with some grain of salt, being just an unchecked back-of-the-envelope estimation, the operator in our example would add three liters of oil, five times during that three weeks, essentially renewing 25 % of oil every 30 hours. Assuming an oil capacity of, say, 12 liters, we can quickly approximate that by the last top-up being done at 150 hours, only one fourth of the oil or so, would be original, whereas over half of it would be newer than 60 hours old. Actually, when finally getting drained some 18 hours later, more oil from the last top-up comes out than what remains of the original. And even that original has been in for just three weeks, with barely time to cool. Now, of course, it doesn't work like with fruits on stand in reality, but just to get the general idea.

Now, compare this with how some (too many!) airplanes are, or at least have been, operated. They accumulate less than 50 hours a year, and the 4-month recommendation is often ignored. To compare with another maximum insult, take a case where the airplane is flown maybe 30...35 hours during the summer, and only in very few occasions during the winter, once a month maybe. The airplane then gets its typical annual "spring maintenance" where the oil, most of which is year old, finally gets changed.

While, again, not something I'd suggest, the problems I'd expect from the first kind of use could very well be less than those one may run into when dealing with these low-time airplanes of the second example. Obviously, one tends to run into entirely different kinds of issues if such high utilization was attempted with most GA types...as someone said a while back, making the exact oil change interval the least of his problems! :D

And once more, to underline my personal view, I consider the oil changes the cheapest kind of preventive maintenance. I see no reason to push those, especially in cases of low utilization. Those suggested in many instances in automotive world are almost ridiculous; even there I'd recommend changing oils at least annually.
Great Ozzie wrote:Read "Lie #3" from The Ten Biggest Lies About Piston Aircraft Engines.

Single Vis oils still recommended by engine re-builders such as Ram Aircraft, Penn Yan, etc.
Yes, though I wonder where the idea of multi-grades being "better lubricants" comes from. That's hardly a reason to go multi-grade. The entire reason of multi-grade oils is to allow a wider operating temperature range, especially extending the bottom range. As this topic is about cold weather flying, around here at least where we can have - and do have - large temperature variations during winters, an attempt to mess around with classic single grade oils while allowing for realistic storage and usage conditions for an average (actively flying) GA, is often like looking for trouble. They just are for different conditions. I quickly couldn't gather any experiences with relatively new AeroShell W80/W80 Plus, which appear to be rather well compatible with local conditions for most days.

When it comes to the rust issues, I'd expect bigger factors being in play than simple single vs. multi-grade factor, including differences in between oils+additives themselves unrelated to the grades. It is correct to note that the times of sitting are when the corrosion issues rise. Should the airplane be parked for extended periods, then the proper storage and preservation methods come a big factor. IMO, if an airplane is flown only a little during the winter period, so that one even needs to start thinking about single grades for maybe enhanced rust protection, or any other differences in this aspect supposedly caused by oil grades alone, I'd suggest treating the airplane like a motor cycle: park it in proper season storage for good instead of throwing dices with rust issues! :) BTW, certain preservatives / corrosion inhibitors are, to my recollection, compatible only with straight mineral oils, which could be a consideration.

From the above, at least Ram Aircraft appears to recommend single or multi grade oils as conditions require. They instead suggest that their experience is better with mineral oils in comparison to semi-synthetic ones (I quickly can't recollect any common full synthetic aviation piston oil). This is an interesting observation, and I've not heard of similar experience around here, except some religious views that go both ways. Could as well dig something up from the literature!

Edit: Yes, at least in 2012, Continental's calendar-based recommendation was six months in their "Scheduled maintenance" flyers. Hours are 25 (screens), 50 (small filters), and 100 (large filters). FWIW, Seneca V's (TSIO-360-RB) maintenance manual, page revised Jul 1/10, recommends changing the oil every 50 hours or 4 months.

-Esa

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

AKar wrote:(I quickly can't recollect any common full synthetic aviation piston oil).
Good luck with that. :lol:

You should read about Mobil AV1 - some good articles on that fiasco like on AVweb etc.
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Not very common, but here's one. http://www.shell.com/business-customers ... ultra.html

It is expensive as heck and not possible to buy in the US so we have to plan ahead and buy in bulk.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

that's Diesel Oracle. Doesn't count! :lol:
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Well it is aviation Diesel, but I know the topic is about the O-540. :)

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oh please just let me give you a hard time. :mrgreen: Seriously tho, I didn't know about it.

I was googling just now for some more sources on AV1... Came across a BT post by Ed Kollins from ASL ("Tech Director at ASL and creator of CamGuard". He was also "director of engine research at Exxon Research and Engineering in the Advanced Fuels and Lubricants Group").

The real problem was that the formulators of Mobil 1 did not understand the difference between automotive and aircraft engines when they formulated Mobil AV1. Aircraft engines are quite different than automotive engines on how they affect the oil. Auto engines thermally stress oils and aircraft engines contaminate them. Air-cooled aircraft engines (as opposed to water cooled automotive engines) have larger clearances designed into them because of: -- and he goes into a very good explanation of the differences, the problems -- specifically the problems with AV1. The whole thread a good read. From a BeechTalk CamGuard Thread page 5.
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

From the [url=http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=56845&p=440581#p440581]High pressure weather - effect on engine?[/url] thread Akar wrote:I wonder if they actually attempt to suggest a bit different issue. Of course, I should add that perhaps more valid starting point than the Lycoming's one IMO would be considering the amount of water vapor produced by the combustion, not breathed in for it. In general, some 13 % of total exhaust product is of water vapor, as a Wikipedia's rough estimate (I've got some more accurate case examples somewhere).

That would mean some 2.7...2.9 kg per minute, or 6.0...6.4 lbs per minute. The amount of H2O produced by the combustion process is significant, I wonder how much is actually absorbed by the oil eventually, when pushing through the piston rings etc. If anything, it certainly makes the amount of air moisture breathed in all but negligible.

-Esa
Esa, I found a .pdf "Aircraft Engine Lubrication - What You Should Know" by Ed Kollin that you might be interested in perusing. Fwiw a few things from it:

**Blow-by**
• Highly reactive & corrosive “Reactive Deposit Precursors”
• >0.1 gallons of fuel per hour through crankcase
• Combustion of hydrocarbons produces water
• 1 gallon water produced per gallon of fuel burned
• A lot of water in the crankcase
---
>0.1 gallons of fuel per hour through crankcase
>0.1 gallons of water from combustion /hour through crankcase
Combustion makes ≈ 1 gallon water per gallon of fuel

Cannot filter out water, fuel, acids
---
Minimizing the Problems
Corrosion – PREVENTION is the only option

• Change oil often - 25 to 35 hours or quarterly
• DO NOT leave dirty oil sitting in engine - 15 Hour oil is CORROSIVE
• Water contaminated with acids
• Use corrosion inhibiting oils or additives such as CamGuard
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That last bit about blow by makes a very strong case for ensuring that engines are run regularly and run to a proper operating temp that allows as much of the moisture to evaporate from the oil and leave through the breather.

However, I do wonder how much of the corrosive compounds aside from the water leave the engine through that process, if at all. Does removing the water take away a reactive agent necessary to cause corrosion?

In winter I've come across many pills who sit in their parked airplanes on the ramp and run them up for a while to try and keep them from rusting. The above reinforces, my view that this practice is really bad because it adds more moisture and doesn't generate enough heat to remove what is already present.

I've never find an oil analysis on any of my cars, but I would be curious to know just how much contamination an aviation engine adds versus a modern automotive engine. Various softer metal levels are usually in the 1 to 2 ppm at each 50 hour. The harder metals sometimes don't even register. There is always plenty of lead in the oil north of 5,000 PPM. iron is always higher too as it wears off the cylinders and that hovers around 20 to 30.

They don't report on corrosive compounds present in the oil, but they do check for viscosity and flashpoint to measure thermal breakdown and fuel contamination. Despite adding oil between changes, by 50 hours the flashpoint is usually not so good.

Interestingly adding CamGuard pushes the Calcium level up fourfold from around 10 to 40. I would think Calcium would form acid compounds, but I don't know enough about the product.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oracle427 wrote:However, I do wonder how much of the corrosive compounds aside from the water leave the engine through that process, if at all. Does removing the water take away a reactive agent necessary to cause corrosion?
You cannot filter water, fuel, or organic acids from your aircraft oil. BT Thread p.6 (Btw, he put that in caps & bold :lol: )

Edit: Oh do you mean boil them off? I don't see how, otherwise why be concerned with things like the TAN test mentioned below...
Oracle427 wrote:In winter I've come across many pills who sit in their parked airplanes on the ramp and run them up for a while to try and keep them from rusting. The above reinforces, my view that this practice is really bad because it adds more moisture and doesn't generate enough heat to remove what is already present.
Yep agreed.
Oracle427 wrote:They don't report on corrosive compounds present in the oil, but they do check for viscosity and flashpoint to measure thermal breakdown and fuel contamination. Despite adding oil between changes, by 50 hours the flashpoint is usually not so good.
How can we tell when the acid neutralizers in the oil have been used up? It turns out that there's a laboratory test that measures the level of unneutralized acid remaining in the oil. This is known as the "total acid number" or TAN test. Some oil-analysis firms can perform this test on your oil samples. However, it's not routinely done as part of the normal oil-analysis report, so you need to specially request a TAN test when you send in your oil sample (and be prepared to pay extra for it). Most owners don't bother with the hassle and expense of TAN testing and simply change their oil at a conservative interval that's guaranteed to get the junk out and fresh additives in before anything untoward is likely to occur.
(Savvy Aviator #52 - Link above)
Oracle427 wrote:Interestingly adding CamGuard pushes the Calcium level up fourfold from around 10 to 40. I would think Calcium would form acid compounds, but I don't know enough about the product.
Yeah someone mentioned that in the BT thread, but E.K. (Kollin) didn't respond to it there (I don't think).
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Great Ozzie wrote:You should read about Mobil AV1 - some good articles on that fiasco like on AVweb etc.
Bookmarked some for further study, interesting stuff. Thanks for pointing out, the AV-1 is an unknown creature to me!
Great Ozzie wrote:Esa, I found a .pdf "Aircraft Engine Lubrication - What You Should Know" by Ed Kollin that you might be interested in perusing. Fwiw a few things from it: [...]
A good list by a glance, I think. The "corrosiveness" of the oil depends on many things, an important one being the stationary time of the engine for localized high water content to be present to form acids in significant amounts. Water is the typical ingredient of acid solutions, and concentrated presence of it, together with slow loss of covering protection, is more or less the formula for pitting corrosion. What I wrote before of this latter maximum insult of letting that summer airplane to fly the winter with the same oils is based on this very aspect. Water is readily present in operation, but also, is readily breathed and to some extent, vaporized from the engine. It is always present, however, and in a sitting engine, it will always be a problem unless specifically treated for.
Oracle427 wrote:However, I do wonder how much of the corrosive compounds aside from the water leave the engine through that process, if at all. Does removing the water take away a reactive agent necessary to cause corrosion?
Not much. But when suspended in the oil that gets lost via other ways than vaporization, these do, to some extent, leave with it. Any added, fresh oil to compensate the loss dilutes the concentrations that are present. However, the nasty stuff not suspended in the oil is merely re-circulated in the oil stream: any sludge that has formed already is hardly compensated for if not draining and cleaning it out, to say.
Oracle427 wrote:In winter I've come across many pills who sit in their parked airplanes on the ramp and run them up for a while to try and keep them from rusting. The above reinforces, my view that this practice is really bad because it adds more moisture and doesn't generate enough heat to remove what is already present.
Strongly agreed.
Oracle427 wrote:They don't report on corrosive compounds present in the oil, but they do check for viscosity and flashpoint to measure thermal breakdown and fuel contamination. Despite adding oil between changes, by 50 hours the flashpoint is usually not so good.
Fuel contamination, btw, is a particular issue with diesels, but also to some extent in given circumstances with gasoline engines when operating in cold environments when unburn fuel condensated over the cylinder walls gets blown by into the oil below. A very good point to bring up when discussing winter operations! The effect of it is considered significant enough in automotive world to be specifically noted among other oil degradation factors.
Great Ozzie wrote:You cannot filter water, fuel, or organic acids from your aircraft oil. BT Thread p.6 (Btw, he put that in caps & bold :lol: )
"Filter is merely in place to protect the machinery against wear caused by its wear, causing further wear resulting in further wear." :D

-Esa

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

That is a lot of interesting information. I change my oil when it turns green, looks ugly, and starts to smell bad. That is usually between 30 and 50 hours - it goes bad faster in summer and slower in winter.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

AKar wrote:The "corrosiveness" of the oil depends on many things, an important one being the stationary time of the engine for localized high water content to be present to form acids in significant amounts.
100-1000ppm – Oil temperature dependent... Organic acids & water in the oil are very corrosive...
0.1--2 ounces of water in crankcase – Ground running increases water and NOT recommended
Minimal neutralization of acids in ashless oils
(Kollin )
AKar wrote:Water is the typical ingredient of acid solutions, and concentrated presence of it, together with slow loss of covering protection, is more or less the formula for pitting corrosion.

"Nice" picture in there of pitting corrosion of the face of a valve lifter. Apparently run just 196hrs over 4 years -- 25hrs between oil changes. Some other pitting pictures as well, along with run times.
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Great Ozzie wrote:Ground running increases water and NOT recommended
BTW, Lycoming is also rather clear in this issue, noting that:
Lycoming wrote:Ground running the engine for brief periods of time is not a substitute for the [corrosion prevention] procedure; in fact, the practice of ground running will tend to aggravate rather than minimize this corrosion condition.
Some sources mention hand-propping the engine from time to time during the period of inactivity or before starting it up after such...Lycoming is strongly against this practice in their Service Letter L180B. What should also be noted that in their Operator's Manuals (at least the revisions my library includes), Lycoming recommends protecting inactive engines by spraying the cylinder interiors with MIL-L-6529, Type 1 preservative oil (such as AeroShell Fluid 2F). If such treatment has been applied, the prop should absolutely not be moved until returning the airplane into active service. Noteworthy is also that the Lycoming's quick preservation that they mention is good up to 30 days, "flyable storage", specifically treats the cylinders only with corrosion preventative. It won't help the rest of the engine if contaminated oils are left in, perhaps together with some significant water content. While the original MIL engine preservation guidelines the Fluid 2F's application notes ask essentially to run the engine with these storage oils to circulate them throughout the engine, Lycoming specifically notes that:
Lycoming wrote:Oils of the type mentioned are to be used in Lycoming aircraft engines for corrosion prevention only, and not for lubrication.
In their preservation procedures not found in Operator's Manuals, but from such as the Service Letter mentioned above, that go beyond 30 days, mixes of these corrosion preventatives and mineral oils are used and ran throughout the engine, and then the above procedure from the Operator's Manual is added.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”