Excessive pitch problems

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
pcartier
Airman Basic

Excessive pitch problems

Post by pcartier »

Not sure if this is pilot error(very well could be) when flying the A2A Comanche and the A2A Cessna 182 and getting her all trimmed for level flight using P3D default weather (no winds) the plane will randomly pitch the nose straight up causing me to stall if I don't respond quick enough.

I have applied the latest updates, and the fact that both the Comanche and Cessna do this makes me think I must be doing something wrong

Any suggestions? I also removed FSUIPC thinking that maybe its affecting my trim wheel but it still occurred.
Using the latest version of P3D.
Addons:
ORBX
GTN 750
FSUIPC

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Excessive pitch problems

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello - welcome to the forums. :)

A few thing you could check for starters...

The first is probably to establish if the pitch trim is actually running in the aircraft when the behaviour occurs. (For instance, is the crank on the Comanche's ceiling whizzing round?) It's been noted that the FSX/P3D "autothrottle TOGA" command can cause a pitch trim runaway if you've inadvertently activated it via a keystroke. Failing this, perhaps there's a control conflict. Have you tried disconnecting your trim wheel to see if this isolates the problem?

Also, though you say "no winds", it's worth bearing in mind that the default P3D weather can still include pretty powerful thermals scattered around the countryside. Any chance you could be flying through one of these?

Thanks,
Nick

pcartier
Airman Basic

Post by pcartier »

Great suggestions Nick, I could be passing through a thermal which could be causing my problems.

I did notice on my pre-flight this morning in the Cessna 182 when I set my trim to a certain position and then move around the cockpit
the trim sets back to the original position before I changed it.

After take off and getting her trimmed out for level cruise my trim tab was just above the "E" in the words "TAKE OFF" then in about 3 min
the nose pushed up and the trim tab moved by itself to the "F" marking position. Could be a hardware conflict (using a thrustmaster warhog joystick)

I will go thought the checklist again maybe I missed something.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Reading your latest post, it does sound rather like a control conflict and that something (perhaps a button or keyboard input) is assigned to the nose up trim function; either in P3D, FSUIPC or the A2A input configurator.

When you say "move around the cockpit" just wondering you have some hardware assigned to shift views (such as a hat switch) which could also be sending a trim command?

In the 182, inadvertent autopilot activation could potentially cause the trim to run away on the ground. This isn't the case in the Comanche though, so seems unlikely to be the culprit.

Interested to hear if you get to the bottom of it... :)

Nick

pcartier
Airman Basic

Post by pcartier »

I will keep you posted!

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Maybe a long-shot, but I did notice something about P3D key assignments that caused me some problems similar to what you're experiencing. If you assign a function (opening a window, turning on the fuel pump, etc.) to a certain key, the original key assignment has to be deleted.

For example, I like to assign my windows to the F keys. When I tried to open the window assigned to the F1 key, which by default closes the throttle, I suddenly lost all my power. I forgot to delete the original key assignment.

pcartier
Airman Basic

Post by pcartier »

Thanks ClipperLuna I will checkout my key assignments, funny thing is I could just be cruising along not touching any of the keys and the plane will just pitch up by itself (I must have some conflict somewhere)

Thanks for your feedback, I will keep testing and will report back.

pcartier
Airman Basic

Post by pcartier »

Problem solved! when I got home from work I loaded P3D and checked my Control Surfaces Trim settings and noticed a joystick assignment for trim up and down and also keyboard assignments for trim up and down, so I unassigned the keyboard ones and now it fly's perfect! no random pitches.

Thanks guys

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome! :) Thanks for posting back with the update and happy flying.

Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”