Oxygen?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
Japo32
Senior Airman

Oxygen?

Post by Japo32 »

Any plans to include in future? There was a big update this last week but still we cannot climb higher than 13000 feet.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Oxygen?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

nothing set at the moment for adding Oxygen.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Japo32
Senior Airman

Post by Japo32 »

Then for now I cannot use it in those West mountains in California to cross them. A shame. Hope its is included soon.

stevent72
Airman Basic

Post by stevent72 »

Hypoxia is modeled well in acusim. with that said, you can go 30 mins or more at 15000, 20 to 30 at 18000. So you could fly those mountains, just get back to 12000 from time to time.
you can look at this,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_u ... sciousness ,for hypoxia chart. Not absolute but something to use when planning a flight around mountains.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

stevent72 wrote:Hypoxia is modeled well in acusim. with that said, you can go 30 mins or more at 15000, 20 to 30 at 18000. So you could fly those mountains, just get back to 12000 from time to time.
you can look at this,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_u ... sciousness ,for hypoxia chart. Not absolute but something to use when planning a flight around mountains.
A lot of pilot's don't want to fly with Oxygen, and I think I'm one of them. Personally, I'm not crazy about having an oxygen bomb in the airplane with me.

However, flying at high (legal) altitudes without oxygen brings it's own challenges, and I like the fact this is the modeled experience in Accu-Sim. It's very unlikely to see pilots fly with oxygen in normally aspirated airplanes. The engine, like you, prefers to avoid the ultra thin air.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

While I of course wouldn't mind having oxygen included, I'm still with Scott on this, and would hardly, if ever, use it. I find the performance suffers enough at 12K or so already to make it my practical ceiling. I do my flying mostly in the NA regions from Orbx, and within those, I've never found the need to get any higher. Typically I mostly do around 8K at most. Generally, only some peaks get much higher, and those are easily flown around.

For higher altitudes, I'd priorize development of a turbocharged GA above the oxygen - they could come handy together, actually. :)

-Esa

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

I suppose it's where we're from, and where we fly. Many pilot friends that I knew, as well as myself, did have an oxygen system. I did a lot of flying in the mountain west, and used it quite often. Had one of those oxygen level sensors that clipped on to a finger, that I kept in the map box. I don't have the Comanche yet, and haven't checked out it's performance. My plane was an RV6 with a normally aspirated engine, but it could get up past 14000' without much problem.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, that's likely. And also, it depends on how we fly. :) Why I enjoy the NA regions so much is that there are almost infinite choices of scenic mountain valleys to follow into interesting places. Sliding in between the rocks gives me some nice feel of flight in the sim.

Re. the Comanche - the performance is quite good up to 12k but noticeable reduces above 6...8k. I find the best compromises to be thereabouts, as expected for a naturally aspirated airplane. No problem getting higher if I wanted to but I don't like whipping. :mrgreen:

-Esa

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

Sim wise, I sledom fly high altitudes in GA airplanes. I also prefer the looks of the rocks from close up (as with Orbx scenery) . For real life, it was either for flying "direct" over the mountains, or for the smoothest air.

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

I carry an oxygen bottle and have occasionally used it. Tubes up the nose kind of stuff. Largely, it is there as a backup in case I need to get over weather or what have you. I fly in the pacific northwest, and for a few years was flying regularly over the Rockies between Vancouver and Ft. McMurray.

My largest oxygen use has been IFR flight - the lowest MEA flying east across the Rockies is 13,000 feet and you need to sustain that for an hour and a bit. A more direct flight past Calgary requires an hour and half at 17,000 feet. I've found a naturally aspirated 250 will do that cheerfully and maintain 140 knots true. Using T-routes allows a lower MOCA but you are still at 15,000. My aircraft has no gps though.

VFR flight oxygen generally isn't necessary as we are limited to 12,500 in most southern domestic airspace anyway.

Japo32
Senior Airman

Post by Japo32 »

Those are really (trully) good stories, but I think I still would like to have oxygen simulated in the Commanche and maybe the cherokee or C182. Usually I use this planes to make vfr flying around the world and believe me it is dificult to fly with them at areas like Himalayas. The truth is that I chose the P51 because it has oxygen and I need to fly at high altitudes. Right now I am over the Andes and flights were more than 30 minutes flying VFR at altitudes near 20,000 feet.

hahaha.. but would be nice to have simulated a posibility explosion of a oxygen bottle in Accusim. :P

kityatyi
Airman

Post by kityatyi »

The subtitle says, "fly high, fast and far" or something like this. While fast and far is certainly possible in the Comanche, high altitudes are not, lacking oxygen.

Oxygen - as an option - would be more than welcome. Then individuals can make the decision themselves whether or not to carry it. As simple as that.

It would be useful not only for the Comanche but also for the Cherokee and the 182 as well.

I hope that it will be implemented.

Cheers,
Zsolt

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Scott - A2A wrote:
stevent72 wrote:Hypoxia is modeled well in acusim. with that said, you can go 30 mins or more at 15000, 20 to 30 at 18000. So you could fly those mountains, just get back to 12000 from time to time.
A lot of pilot's don't want to fly with Oxygen, and I think I'm one of them. Personally, I'm not crazy about having an oxygen bomb in the airplane with me.

However, flying at high (legal) altitudes without oxygen brings it's own challenges, and I like the fact this is the modeled experience in Accu-Sim. It's very unlikely to see pilots fly with oxygen in normally aspirated airplanes. The engine, like you, prefers to avoid the ultra thin air.

Scott.
Scott, a bomb? Well the big planes I work on in real life are loaded with bombs then. We have two huge green bottles right below the cockpit, and all the O2 generators in the PSU's can take down a jet ala ValuJet.

They're very safe. It would take a lot for one to explode. You'd have to cover it in oil and grease and then turn on the O2, then it would be a bomb.

Sorry, I wouldn't call it a bomb.

But yes, I'd like O2 in my Comanche as I fly it in Alaska all the time.

CaptKornDog
Airman First Class

Post by CaptKornDog »

Add me to the list of folks who certainly would like to see Oxygen modeled (or even just a way to disable hypoxia). I'd love to finally be able to take the Comanche over the Rockies at the higher altitudes.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Well, one would think that having options at your disposal is A2A's way, having this system would only better the plane.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”